Thursday, April 6, 2017

Sujo Interview


1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?

A: I started the Sujo project in 2008 as a solo noise/experimental recording outlet. My first release was the "Pia" 3"cdr that I released on my label, Inam Records. Since then I have done multiple releases; probably in the 20's. I have worked with great labels such as Quiet World (UK), 1000+1 TiLt (Greece), Fedora Corpse (US), and Auris Apothecary (US). It has remained a solo project.

2.Recently you have released an album, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording?

A: The output of Sujo has always had it's base in noise and drone. I've incorporated some shoegaze and black metal elements into it. The latest release "A Deeper Curse" consists of a 17+ minute track I recorded in 2013 and 5 tracks that were recorded this year. I used different machines to record the older track and new ones. I believe the newer tracks have a more "distant" or "muddy" sound! I used a Korg d1200 workstation for the older track, and a Tascam DP-03SD for the 5 newer tracks. I like to use a lot of field recordings in the mix as well. I think the overall sound is almost ambient with some more structured/melodic elements.

3.So far the music has been instrumental, are you open to working with vocals in the future?

A: I've actually used "vocals" in some of the work including this release. They are not traditional and sometimes no more than distant screams or noises. I've experimented with more traditional vocals but it just doesn't sound right to my ears. I like the ambiguity that instrumental music allows.


4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Sujo'?

A: I honestly don't remember why I chose the name originally but I it is a Portuguese word that translates to "dirty". Seems fitting.

5.With this musical project you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to remain solo?

A: The only collaboration I've done with Sujo is the Sujo + Sun Hammer "Fistula" release. It remains one of my favorites! I enjoy collaborating; it just doesn't seem to happen much.

6.The album was released on 'Inam Records', can you tell us a little bit more about this label?

A: It's a label I started in 2005 or 2006. I was living in Austin, TX and wanted to do some releases of my music and had some friends with projects as well. It was never intended to be an official "label" and really hasn't become one! It's mostly cdr's with the occasion lathe record. Runs tend to be limited to 100 or less.

7.James Plotkin did the mastering on the new album, did you feel honored to work with this legendary
musician?

A: James Plotkin mastered the Sujo "Blood Saints" cdr and "Kahane" 12"lp so I've already had great experiences with his work. He's very accessible and does a great job at a great price. What more could you want? He' has an awesome musical and creative mind so it's always an honor!

8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your album by fans of underground music?

A: I don't tend to read many reviews and I am rarely contacted by people directly. When I started putting music on bandcamp the response was very positive. It seems I get pretty low ratings in other places! I'm under no impression that this type of "music" will appeal to many people. Of course I am very appreciative of the positive responses!

9.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician in the future?

A: Well, I'm getting pretty old and have been doing this for 20+ years in some form. I think I will always have the desire to create music. I like doing more experimental/electronic music as well. I am not very interested in gear or technology so that probably limits me in some ways. I've been using the same $150 guitar since 2005. I enjoy the challenge of being creative with limited options and resources. We'll see what happens.

10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are
you listening to nowadays?

A: About 2 or 3 years ago I really got into early Pink Floyd (Saucer through Meddle). I like electronic music like Machinefabriek, Varg, Actress and Container. I listen to earlier punk and hardcore (Circle Jerks, Cro-Mags, Bad Religion, Bold). My favorite metal bands are VoiVod and Slayer. I also like experimental/field recording such as Howard Stelzer and William Basinski.

11.What are some of your non musical interests?

A: Reading books and recently getting into archery.

12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

A: Thank you for the interview!

https://sujo.bandcamp.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment