Sunday, July 2, 2017

Malicious Wonderland Interview


1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?
The main focus of this project is sound design. I layer different ambient sounds and loops together in order to create cinematic soundscapes. Hopefully this kind of music conjures up images of post-apocalyptic wastelands in your head.

2.So far you have released 3 albums, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on all of the recordings and also how do they differ from each other?
The album "Dystopia" is still a work in progress. I post songs onto Bandcamp as I go. As for the other two releases, I would have to say that the main difference between them is that the first release is more composed and orchestrated than the second. The second release is more of a collage of sounds that fit together into a cohesive whole while the first has more of what one of my listeners has called a "dark eighties vibe" to it.

3.All of your music is instrumental, are you open to using any vocals in the future?
Probably not. Maybe some sampled voices, but never any actual singing. I may someday do something within the metal realm that would include vocals. I never plan for these things ahead, though.

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Malicious Wonderland'?
Malicious means something harmful and malignant. Wonderland evokes images of fantasy lands. Putting these two words together represents what this project hopes to accomplish. I want to create sinister sounding music that takes you into dark, fantastical realms.

5.Since October you have released 3 albums, do you put in a great amount of time and effort into creating music?
Yes, I do.

6.So far all of the music has been instrumental, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to work alone?
I am always open to working with other people. However, I have never had the opportunity. I have been working by myself for so long now that I would welcome the change of bouncing ideas off of another person. It just hasn't happened yet.

7.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?
One label gave me a vague commitment. I am always looking. Although, I have no delusions. If a release happens it will be on a very small underground scale. Probably limited to a couple of homemade CDRs. Of course, there is no monetary reward in making this kind of music. My music is a small drop in a much wider ocean.

8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of dark ambient and industrial?
I don't know. I haven't heard much from them yet. I have sent out many emails soliciting reviews and opinions. I take them all with a grain of salt, but if I wasn't sending out emails I would just be making music for myself. I think music and art should be shared with other people.

9.Are you currently involved with any other bands or musical projects these days?
Reflections From Nowhere, which is more song orientated. It's more composed with melodies. Think of it as a companion to Malicious Wonderland.
https://reflectionsfromnowhere .bandcamp.com/

10.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?
I never plan these things. I don't know. Wherever my musical whims happen to take me.
11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
Classical music, film soundtracks, photography, art, nature, etc. Anything and everything.

12.What are some of your non musical interests?
Photography, nature hikes, and reading. Check out my photography here:
https://www.flickr.com/people/ rossdxvx/

13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
Thanks for the interview.

https://maliciouswonderland.bandcamp.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment