Saturday, January 26, 2019

Sinister Downfall Interview

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?
Sinister Downfall is a one-man project, which is rather atypical for this genre. It was founded in 2016. Since many ideas were already in mind at that time, it was possible to record a full album without first producing a demo.

2.In November you had released your first album with this project, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style that you went for on the recording?
For the kind of emotions and thoughts that Sinister Downfall pursues, a very slow tempo is best, which is supposed to emphasize the ruin and the emptiness. Large variations were deliberately avoided. Through the monotony I tried to convey an infinite void. An emptiness, as it would arise if all life would leave the planet.

3.You have participated in both black and doom metal projects, how would you compare the 2 different styles?
Besides the two mentioned genres I'm also working on a death metal project with a very aggressive sound, which is stylistically on a completely different track. Each genre, with its characteristics is better or worse suited to express and convey certain emotions. That's why I'm not someone who bites into one genre and doesn't allow anything else. Every genre has its justification and I use them to express my thoughts.

4.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you explore with your music?
The main theme is the end of all life on planet Earth. In my opinion humans are a misdevelopment, invading and destroying nature. This is of course known to everyone and can be seen daily in all its abnormal forms. No other living being develops such greed and unfounded destructiveness like man. Every phase of civilization comes to an end sometime, be it by a meteorite impact, an ice age or whatever. In my opinion, the era of the 'new' life, the era of the homo sapiens, will be ended by those sapiens themselves. And because the effects of human action bring about such serious destruction, the 'intelligent apes' will also drag all other living beings into damnation.
A theme that is included in almost all of my musical works is philosophical pessimism. This can also be found in Sinister Downfall.

5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Sinister Downfall'?
I tried to describe the main theme of the music in two words. I am not someone who interprets too much into band names.

6.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the album cover?
The cover was drawn by Paint-It Black Design and shows the main theme of the project in one picture, namely the humanized form of death. Man is the one who will bring about his own death, so it is the perfect personification.

7.On the album you had recorded everything by yourself, do you feel you are able to express yourself a lot more musically by working solo?
That's definitely the case. If I want to bring my own emotions into the music, then it inevitably only works individually. I can only make music by working alone. Why should it be any different than sculptors, painters, writers and other artists who always worked individually?

8.The new album was released on 'Funere', can you tell us a little bit more about this label?
Funere is a new label from Armenia, which is specialized in doom metal. The interesting and special thing about it is that it is run by a woman, which is rather an exception in metal. Sinister Downfall's 'Eremozoic' was the first album released on this label.  I really get along very well with the owner; the cooperation and support was excellent from the beginning and I don't care about the size of the label if everything else is good.

9.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of funeral doom metal?
I'm afraid I can't judge that very well because I don't follow it. Since there are people who order the CD and purchase the album digitally, it shows me that there are people who like my music and even if it were just one person, that would be enough for me.

10.What is going on with some of the other bands or musical projects these days that you are a part of?
I invest a lot of my free time in music and don't need long breaks of inspiration. Donarhall will release a new album in the near future. For Hexengrab a demo was released on CD just a few days ago and my death metal project is almost finished. Not long ago I released the album 'Ritual' by Dark Fields from the field of drone / dark ambient. In this project I work together with my wife, who makes the art for the releases. This work is a synthesis of art and music. But most of the time it takes a bit longer to release stuff, because a suitable label has to be found.  But all the other things are also permanently in work.

11.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician in the future?
This is very difficult to answer and to be honest, I never look too far into the future. I will continue as before, learning from my previous works and trying to evolve. Music is a big part of my life and will remain so forever.

12.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
I can't name a particular band that has influenced me significantly. I think every song I've heard in my life has left a certain impression on me and had a certain influence on me. Of course that doesn't just include metal.
Currently I listen to many different things. I like many young blackened death metal bands, who currently make excellent music. Of course I listen to a lot of black metal but also rather unconventional things, sometimes also classical music. Dark ambient and all its dark and experimental offshoots have always fascinated me very much.

13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
I would like to thank all the people who listen to my music and support me. Also a big thank you to the labels that make analog releases possible and of course to people like you who are committed to the music and keep it alive through reviews, interviews and other reports. Keep supporting metal!

Bandcamp
Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment