Monday, September 10, 2018

Crosby Morgan Interview


1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about yourself and your musical project?

The project at hand is called “Rain Games for the Natural Born Pariah”, which was inspired by my reality at the time…I struggle with feeling like an outsider--real or imagined, probably a bit of both. I like to think that my experiences are not unique, though. I know everyone has felt this at some point, so ideally, my hope for this album (and my music in general) is that the pariahs of this world can relate to it.

2.So far you have recorded and released 2 albums this year, how do they differ from each other musically?

“Patrons of Silence” is a  super stripped down, raw folk album, and “Rain Games for the Natural Born Pariah” is more of a haunting, ethereal and dark EP. The folk album is pretty representative of my day to day reflections and is acoustically driven. “Rain Games” is sort of a melancholic mixture of acoustic and dark electronic.
As a note, most people don’t know this, but I released an electronic album, “Primal”, under the moniker Leandrul earlier this year as well. Among the three of the projects, “Primal” takes place in an emotional dream world, where I focused on creating imagery and shadows both lyrically and instrumentally.

3.From 2014 to 2018 there was no music being released, can you tell us a little bit more about what was going  on  during  that time  frame?

Yes, during that time I was writing and honing in on my production skills. I have tons of material, still, even after all three of these releases.

4.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you have explored with your music so far?

Along with all the songs about failed relationships and all their permutations, I have been working on writing about personal growth and exploring any notion of contrast, whether it be the line that divides sanity from insanity or the disconnect between emptiness and fulfillment.

5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the ep cover?

The artwork emphasizes the importance of the things we take for granted. Electrical trusses power the modern world- we see them everywhere, they go unnoticed, but they are vital to our existence and communication (so we can charge our iPads). Likewise, the pariahs of society exist in a similar vein; they have a unique take on the times and in turn can propel the world into a more honest, progressive future.

6.You have worked with other musicians on your recordings in the past, and have also recorded everything by yourself, which one do you prefer?

I am very comfortable doing things by myself. However, I haven’t worked with others creatively enough to say I certainly prefer that. Working with others again is something I look forward to experiencing one day.

7.Have you had any opportunities to do any live shows yet?

I have played some in the past, but I hope my future will bring more opportunities to share my work.

8.Currently you are signed to 'Dark Martha Records', are you happy with the support that they have given you so far?

The label is just starting out, but already has some fantastic artists on its roster. The main plus is that the physical artifacts are beautiful and represent us well. I gain inspiration from the label’s creativity, dedication, and its eclectic taste.

9.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of folk and experimental?

I haven’t really had enough exposure to say, but I have been well received by people from around the world on the street when I busk. It will be interesting to see how “Rain Games” is received.

10.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician in the future?

My intention is to never stop making music--challenging myself to express things I think are meaningful, beautiful, and important.

11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you to listening to nowadays?

Lyrically, I really look up to Pink Floyd, The Beatles, and Fleetwood Mac. I grew up on classic rock, but for the last eight years I’ve really only been listening to EDM, house, and techno— which developed my sense of texture, space, and tension. Anyway, these days I’ve been listening to Nine Inch Nails and Justin Martin…

12.What are some of your non musical interests?

I like swimming laps in the lukewarm pool at LA Fitness, and I like to paint too.

13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
At this point I would just like to thank my family and friends for always supporting me. And I’d like to thank you as well for inviting me to answer some questions about my music.

https://crosbymorgan.bandcamp.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment