Thursday, November 22, 2018

Iterum Nata Interview

1.Can you give us an update on what has been going on with the musical project since the recording of the new album?

I have been working quite closely with Jussi Pohjanen, the stellar artist who drew the cover art for the album. There will be a small batch of screen prints made out of the artwork available as soon as the album is out. Also, I've been quite busy writing press-releases, newsletters etc. Luckily the record label has helped me a lot with this stuff - kudos to Inverse Records! I have also written some new material, which is...let's call it Qliphothic!

2.In December you have a new album coming out, what are some of the things you feel you have done different musically with this recording that you where not able to do on your previous releases?

When I started to record the first album I had no clue what kind of material I would end up with. With "The Course of Empire" it was much clearer; I already knew the studio and the equipment, and I had a certain musical style in my mind. One could say that this album continues where the first one ended.

Musically the material is a lot darker and not so serene. There are loads of percussion's, which gives the record a certain shamanistic twist. In the first album everything was played by me but in The Course of Empire there's also some featuring musicians (another kudos!).

3.The lyrics on the new album cover Hermetic Philosophy, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in this Western Esoteric Path?

Every song in The Course of Empire has its own correspondence in the seven Hermetic Principles. Hermeticism itself is such a massive concept, that I like to use it as a hypernym which bends over several Western Esoteric schools; it has influenced Rosicrucians, Gnostics, Kabbalists, Freemasons and later for example Thelemites. So there are loads of influences from all of these traditions in the album as well.

4.On your previous album you also covered a lot of Crowley and Thelemic themes, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in the works of Crowley and also do you have an interest in other occultists from the Golden Dawn era or others that expanded on Crowley's teachings such as Kenneth Grant or A.O Spare?

The first album revolved around Thelemic Qabbalah and indeed Crowley's work was heavily present in the lyrics. Crowley was, and still is, a very controversial man, but his influence in the modern Western Esotericism is worthy of respect. One could say that he brought the old traditions into the modern age - even if it was over a hundred years ago. Grant, A.O.S. and others have continued Crowley's work and renewed the Western Current with their own philosophies.

There are many other interesting people in the Western Esoteric field, like Dee, Levi, Blavatsky, Bardon, Jung etc., but in my esoteric studies I try to focus on the deeper philosophy behind these people instead of the people themselves. There's always a risk that one starts to worship another person, or finds himself following someone else's path.

5.What are some of the other esoteric paths that you have an interest in that you have not covered with your music yet?

Maybe some nature-related traditions or Eastern mysticism. You never know the theme of the next album!

We have to keep in mind, that in the end you can call the "Tao" with thousand different names, but it will always be the same!

6.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Iterum Nata'?

It's Latin for "born again". Each moment we are born again, and hopefully as a better version than the previous. Also, these albums are kind of an initiations for me, and a true initiate is always born again after the ceremony.

7.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork on the new album cover?

As said before, it is drawn by Jussi Pohjanen who also made the artwork on the first album. In the cover picture there are references to practices such as Qabbalah, Goetia, Thelema, Tarot, Hermeticism and many more. You should explore it and see what you can find in it!

8.With this project you record everything by yourself but have also worked with full line ups in the past, how would you compare the two?

They are two totally different things. When I'm doing stuff alone, I don't need to care about the schedules or what other people think about the takes. Although at some point it would be better to have a producer who tells me when to stop; for example the vocals can be really hard for me to record by myself.

Also, in other line-ups I am mainly just a guitarist. So I just nail the guitar parts and that's it. In Iterum Nata I need to build everything from a scratch. When I look at the empty project on the computer, it feels like I have a goddamn mountain to climb. But once I get started, it's actually pretty painless!

9.The new album is coming out on 'Inverse Records' a record that is mostly known for metal, do you feel your adding something different music wise to this label?

Inverse has treated me really well and I'm super thankful for those guys about everything - I hope Iterum Nata gives them something in exchange! I'm sure The Course of Empire will also appeal on the metal audience because of the dark occult themes and the bleak aesthetics.

10.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your recordings by fans of folk and occult music?

It has been good, but I'm still just a small name in the scene. The first album was self-published and not well distributed at all, but now when there's a real label behind me, I'm sure lots of new people will hear my music. Hopefully the album gets lots of feedback and reviews!

11.Can you tell us a little bit more about the other bands or musical projects that you are a part of or where a part of in the past?

I have played in dozens of bands from children's music to extreme metal, but nowadays my main focus outside of Iterum Nata is in Hexvessel, The Aeon and King Satan.

I have been a fan of Hexvessel for years and I was so happy when they asked me to join them at the beginning of the year. It is kind of psychedelic folk-rock with a twist of nature mysticism. There's a beautiful new album coming out next year!

The Aeon is a 7-piece dark folk band from my previous hometown, Oulu. We have released one album, "The Songs of the Great Beast", where all the lyrics are by Aleister Crowley. We have been writing some new material and the second album is coming at some point.

King Satan is musically something totally different; it is super provocative and aggressive industrial metal. The lyrics are filled with dark occult themes, once again!

12.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician in the future?

This is a question which only the reborn future-me can answer! I wouldn't want to become a huge mega-star - I'm happy as long as I can create and play music that feels like my own. For me music is the main way to express myself.

13.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

There are so many of them. I literally grew up with music, for both of my parents are really musical and we had loads of recordings and instruments at home. I have always loved progressive music, as well as anything that's made with feeling. Unfortunately I don't listen to music that much anymore, guess I'm too busy with my own projects. Nevertheless, there are these old favourites, including Pink Floyd, Opeth, Ulver and Camel that I always seem to get back to. Also, the old jazz classics such as Miles Davis' Kind of Blue and Freddie Hubbard's Straight Life keep on appearing to my playlist.

14.What are some of your non musical interests?

I do taiji few times a week and then there are the esoteric studies and practices. I am a social counselor in my profession and I work with the disabled to earn a living.

15.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

Love is the law, love under will.

https://www.facebook.com/IterumNata93/

No comments:

Post a Comment