Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Il Cinghiale Interview

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?



Il Cinghiale started in 2006 as Wild Boar, as a side project of Symbiosis (http://symbiosis.altervista.org). At the time the term “dungeon synth” did not exist yet, but the sound I was looking for was the one of the historical names of the genre.

After a couple of demos I put on hold the project until about a year ago, when I resurrected it under the name Il Cinghiale (which means ‘wild boar’ in Italian).

Before this split, I released “The Regal Tales”, an EP with some new tracks. You can listen to it on my Bandcamp: https://ilcinghiale.bandcamp.com/, where you can also find a collection of tracks from the Wild Boar days.



2.How would you describe the musical sound that has been presented on the recordings that you have released so far?



Well, I think that the label “dungeon synth” sticks perfectly, even if I don’t want to sound derivative and I am looking to incorporate new influences in the next works.

In this split with Kaluder, I pushed the orchestral side a little more than in the previous releases, which were definitely more “dungeon-esque”.

For the future I am trying different interesting directions, but I still have to decide which path to take. The woods of Il Cinghiale are dense and easy to get lost into, sometimes even myself cannot find the way back home. And I absolutely like to get lost.



3.What are some of the themes and concepts you bring into the music?



I want to transform the listener into a sort of adventurer that explores an unknown world. This world is intentionally left without chronological or geographical points of reference, and can convey different meanings and concepts.

Each Il Cinghiale release is a different journey: there is not, at least currently, a unifying concept across the releases. This allows me to experiment with different sounds and to create different settings, so that each album, split or EP is a variation on the theme of exploration of inner and outer worlds.



4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Il Cinghiale'



As I was saying before, “Il Cinghiale” means “the wild boar” in Italian, my native language, and Wild Boar has been the first name of my project.

The reason why I chose it is that I feel that the wild boar is my spirit animal. He lives hidden in the woods, attacks only when is attacked, and have a special connection with the surrounding environment.



5.On the albums you record mostly everything by yourself, would you be open to working with other musicians?



Until now, I have always did everything by myself, but as it already happened with the other projects of mine, I would be more than happy to work with someone else.

It would be not easy, especially for a solitary genre like dungeon synth, but I am sure that this could lead to interesting contaminations with other sounds. Anyone is welcome to get in touch if interested!



6.Recently you where a part of a split with 'Kaluder', what are your thoughts on the other musical project that had participated on the album?



I know personally the guy behind Kaluder and he is a really creative musician who likes to experiment in different directions (and I recommend to check out the other projects of his). This incursion into dungeon synth is very well crafted, both sonically and conceptually. I liked Kaluder’s tracks since the first time I listened to them, and I think they blend great with the ones from Il Cinghiale.

We have different approaches towards the genre, and probably different influences, but there is something that links our sonic proposals so that they go great in a split album.



7.The split was released on 'Masked Dead Records', are you happy with the support that they have given you so far?



Absolutely yes. Matteo, the guy from the label, followed every part of the production in a professional way and leaving me and Kaluder absolute artistic freedom.

With the other projects of mine I worked with several labels in the past, and this has been one of the best experiences I have ever had. I also recommend the readers to check out the other releases from Masked Dead, they will discover many interesting artists.



8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of dungeon synth?



I must admit that prior to the release of this split I have made very little promotion to my project, partly due to my other musical activities, but partly also because I want Il Cinghiale to have the typical early dungeon synth aura of mystery. It is not a matter of fashion or of goofy elitism, but a remembrance of how I got into dungeon synth, long before it had even had a name (it was just called, as many will remember, “medieval ambient”, “black ambient” or “fantasy ambient”). It was something you had to discover piece by piece, spending time researching new acts on catalogues, trading stuff, or on the depths of the (early) web.

Without being anachronistic, I would like to keep Il Cinghiale as something that has to be discovered, not excessively promoted. So, coming back to your question, the few feedbacks I had have been rather positive, but I think this question will have a more complete answer in a few years.



9.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician in the future?



Good question, if someone has the answer please get in touch as soon as possible! Jokes aside, I hope to keep on looking for new musical influences and challenges as always, and to collaborate with like-minded musicians.

I do not make many plans, I prefer to see what happens and chase every opportunity I feel valuable.

As far as Il Cinghiale is concerned, I hope to release a full-length album someday, I am already trying different directions and I am confident to be able to produce something interesting and not already heard thousand times.



10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?



If strictly speaking about the music which influenced Il Cinghiale (and not generally myself as a listener and as a musician), it may sound obvious but Mortiis and Burzum (from the latter especially the latest albums) have been my first influences. Together with them, all the first wave of dungeon synth projects and the ambient tracks found in many black metal albums. Widening the field, black metal and dark ambient music have a heavy influence on Il Cinghiale, together with classical music, especially the one composed from the late XVII and early XVIII centuries.

When talking about myself, I have rather diverse musical interests, from avantgarde electroacoustic music to dark jazz, from old school industrial to ritual traditional music. Currently, I am rediscovering black metal, which have been my main passion since my teenage years, and avantgarde classical music from XX century.

Another kind of music which I am commited to lately, both as a listener and as a composer, is pure field recording (i.e. not used with instruments, but as the only sound source in a composition).



11.What are some of your non musical interests?



“To crush my enemies, to see them driven before me, and to hear the lamentations of their women.”



12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?



Thank you very much for the space you dedicated to Il Cinghiale, it is always a pleasure answering to such in-depth and interesting questions.

If you are keen on discovering more about Il Cinghiale, for the moment head over my Bandcamp page: http://ilcinghiale.bandcamp.com (website coming soon!).


No comments:

Post a Comment