Friday, October 12, 2018

Doomcult Interview

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?



Doomcult is a one-man band from the Netherlands. Doomcult glorifies doom-metal while introducing some DSBM and proto-black influences.



2.In July you had released a new ep, what are some of the things you have done different musically with the new material that you have not been able to do on your previous releases?



The first release by doomcult contained ideas which originated way back in time. I started writing doom songs a long time ago, but I was never in a band that played such music. I was too busy playing in all kind of bands to really take the time to craft these doom riffs into songs. That changed a couple of years ago. This resulted in the first album ‘End All Life’ which was released by Morbid Syndicate in 2016. The new release only contains new material and no old ideas. I think it better reflects my current state of mind.



3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you explore with the music?



Doomcult is about abuse of power, propaganda, loss of self-control and blasphemy. To translate these topics into words, many references to occult themes are introduced.



4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Doomcult'?



Well, I think the name is a perfect match with the music, since it’s doom and thematically it covers occult themes. It is a powerful name.



5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the ep cover?



It is a devil that I met when I visited Germany. It was on the door of an old building, which was a fire station. I manipulated the photo a little to make it appear more alive. I thought it was cool to use a devil from the fire station and combine it with the title Ashes. Hahaha.



6.With this project you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to work solo?



Well, I really like playing in a band. Playing together with other musicians gives new ideas and creativity. I would really like to do some doomcult songs with a complete band. Unfortunately, there are not too many doom fans among the musicians that I know. They all play much too fast… Maybe in the future.



7.The new ep was released by Loneravn Records, can you tell us a little bit more about this label?



Loneravn Records is a label from the Ukraine that is specialized in doom-metal in all its forms. It is worthwhile checking out their roster.



8.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of doom metal?



So far, it has been great. As for all underground bands it is hard to grab the attention of people. There is so much great music, there are so many great bands to discover. However, the people that did discover doomcult come from all over the world and they appear more positive then I could ever imagine. Many hail the atmosphere in my music. Of course, all these positive things doesn’t affect me being doomed. hahaha



9.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician in the future?



For the near future, doomcult will release it’s second full length album. All music is recorded and mixed. This will be either at the end of 2018 or the start of 2019. I hope to release a split album sometime at the end of the winter. In the meanwhile I will continue writing and recording new material.



10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?



I either listen to Manowar or to Slayer… If there is some spare time, maybe My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost and some old Anthema. I’m really into Dautha and Necros Christos the last few months. And of course Urfaust and Celtic Frost…



11.How would you describe your views on occultism?



I drink my coffee out of the skull of a goat. For the rest I merely use references to the goatlord and the occult for describing all dark parts of our brains as humans.



12.What are some of your non musical interests?



The human mind.

13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

Thanks for the opportunity to express myself and to introduce doomcult. Many hails to you for supporting the underground.


Bandcamp
Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment