1. We stayed busy last year; we toured the eastern half of the US, the southeast and florida two or three times. We also did a good number of shows in Canada, mostly in Quebec. This year has mostly consisted of down time. We hope to continue to work with what momentum we've gained, and we have plans to get back to work at the end of the year. Beau lives out of state, and Jordan is highly commited to school, so we are working within reason.
2. How would you describe the musical sound of the newer music?
2. Nearly every review of our last album used the post metal label, and I believe that's fair, although I think that's more apt in describing our earlier material. We spent over a year writing "where four rivers flow", and our intention was to make an album that was entirely genuine. We were all coming from slightly different places; we would begin with one riff, and by the time everyone had added to that, it would become something usually quite different than how it was initially intended to sound, and yet maintaning its expressive quality. Nobody is playing the same thing, yet we find cohesion.
3. What are some of the concepts the band brings out with the music?
3.The lyrical content is an observation, and it is expressed poetically to match the aesthetic of the music, they are complimentary to eachother. In essence this record was about ambitions, the attached dread of shortcomings, and ultimately meeting neurosis with basic sanity. It is about renouncing the idea that your existence entitles you to anything.
4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the bands name?
.4. A sky burial is a tibetan funerary rite in which the body is dismembered and fed to vultures. Its intention being that this is the last act of kindness one can preform, to offer up one's body to feed another being. It is a beautiful concept, and it exemplifies what we believe to be truly compassionate action.
5. What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and how would you describe your stage performance?
5. Any time that we have played Rock Hill, SC, has been incredible. Every show we shared on our winter tour with Low To The Earth, they are our best of friends. We played one show in Ottawa with Alaskan, it was a small coffee shop (the daily grind I believe?), a very intimate environment. They are simply phenomenal, certainly one of the best bands we have played with. When we play, we simply play. Our songs flow in to eachother with little interlude. We don't like talk to interrupt the songs.
6. Do you have any touring or show plans for the future?
6. Our next tour will be with Vestiges, along the west coast, canada, and mexico. We have wanted to tour with them for some time, they are like family to us.
7. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your album by fans of metal and underground music?
7.I can't say for certain. We have recieved some messages from people overseas, and we have seen reviews, but its not so apparent. Perhaps when we make it over to Europe, we'll have a better idea! I will say though, that even knowing that some people are aware of us over there seems so amazing. Even with the internet, I don't think that any of us have had a project gain more than regional recognition.
8. Are their any other side projects besides this band or is this a full time line up?
8. Jesse and Jordan are also in a project called ALRAUNE
And Ivan is in Choking On Ash
And Ivan is in Choking On Ash
9.What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
9. We wont know until we begin writing. Our former 2nd drummer, Leamyng, has rejoined us, and that will surely effect the dynamic.
10.What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
10. Everyone has a different place to pull from. Initially things like Mouth Of The Architect, Giant, Loss, Fall Of Efrafa... lately I've been really obsessed with Swans, mainly the seer and white light from the mouth of infinity. Codeine as well.
11.Outside of music what are some of your interests?
11. Nature, sustainability, meditation practice, excercise, and food that is actually food!
12.Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
12. Thank you for the questions. Listen to these bands, they are all very hard working DIY musicians; Low To The Earth, Recreant, They Eat Their Own God, Alaskan, Xozo, Autarch, Thetan, Landbridge, Set And Setting.