Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Pombajira Interview


1.Can you give us an update on what is going on with the band these days?

We´ve been composing new songs for the next album. We are managing to release it until June 2020, but as all things here may have some delays and problems as ever, I can´t tell you exactly if this prognostic will occur.

2.In 2019 you had released both a demo and a full length, musically how do they differ from each other?

We didn´t release a demo, but a promo cd-r instead. Proselytism rec(Chile) and Cianeto Discos (Bra) pressed some copies in this format including two of our released songs in pré-mastered and raw mixed versions. So, they sound a little bit different but are the same tracks present in the debut album. Of course, you have the definitive versions and more 4 songs in the CD.

3.The bands name and some of the lyrics are inspired by Afro-Brazilian cults, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in these fields and do you lean more towards the left hand path of Quimbanda or do you learn more towards the other sides such as Macumba, Umbanda or Candomble?

Actually the lyrics aren´t exclusively inspired in the Afro-Brazilian cults, but of course it may have part of the entire context. I chose the name Pombajira cos´ it fits much better with my reality and represents a powerful, free but feared female entity that surrounds the imaginary of the ordinary brazilian society, positively or negatively. The prejudice and racism are an unconscious part of our feeble structures in Brazil, as part of the historical slave-owning catholical/christian domination since our “discovery”. We do not have the goal of being a kind of religious band, neither no pretentious of being a herald of this very complex and ancient culture even that we, of course, have been in contact with it since our childhood. There´re much better persons for it. Maybe the random essence of these cults in my experienced life, have awaken a flick of interest on me in order to express artistically and musically something which deals with this central concept. The idea of an imperative band is not for us, since we do not pledged loyalty to any kind of dogma or doctrine. Musically, it´s ever good to remind that we´re not a Black Metal band. Of course that it may take part of our influences, but we are not part of this style definitively. We do play Heavy music and it´s enough for us! In the lyrics of “The Lost Exit of Darkness” for example, I wrote about choices, voices from inside which can save or corrupt you to death or even a life condemned with conformism.

4.Do you also have an interest in western or eastern forms of occultism?

Of course that as almost all young metalhead guys down here, excited in “discovering” occult things, and flooded with an imported vision and comprehension of the world, I used to have a lot of interest and contact to Satanism, Thelema and occult orders back then, as well as with alternative literature and all rampage it may occur to outline our personality. I do not regret or have bad feelings on it though, but I must tell you that I´m very far to feel the same impact and interest on it, except for the use of occasional symbolism's that may happen. I don´t want to blur the work of the others, but I don´t see with good eyes the searching for some gratification or disputing with egocentric self-glorification as something which may have some greater result, including the appearance of several trendy subcultures or ideologies/philosophies or whatever form of self-proclaimed conviction you want. In the current last years I was more interested to focus on myself and what´s all about my environment, my mistakes and in what´s leading me to a personal evolution in many aspects. It´s not a matter of arrogance, but western or eastern perspectives are not the channels that I´m into or looking for nowadays.

5.What are some of the other lyrical topics and subjects the band has explored so far with the music?

I´ve noticed about “The Lost Exit of Darkness” in the above question. “Vital Lucifer” is about an uncontrolled and very real “dream” I had when I was a child. “Queen of the Night” is homage to Pomba Gira, very simple and honest homage. The others speak in different manners which you´ll have to enter our world to have some perception. Nothing intricate or pseudo poetical, but words conceived with mature synergy.

6.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover?

It´s interesting that this very simple and iconic artwork had a major reaction. I could have commissioned some cool artists to draw a killer artwork for us, but I was ever a fan of simplistic designs since it´s cool and effective. So, I did it for myself, within what the band represents and stands for. Of course that many will hate and laugh at it, others will love and praise it. Actually, that´s the idea. Thanks for asking.

7.What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and also how would you describe your stage performance?

We never played alive yet.

8.Do you have any touring or show plans for 2020?

No tour. Maybe a few gigs. Maybe…

9.A couple of the band members have a background in playing black and death metal, what was the decision behind going into more of a doom metal direction with this band?

 I had played for almost 20 years in a Black/Death Metal band called Grave Desecrator, that maybe you´ve heard about. I´m not interested to play or express myself with extreme Metal anymore, so I decided to quit. The guys are still my friends so, but I wanted another alternative for my life I music. And also, to write some different things with different concepts as well. Thiago Splatter, the drummer, plays hallucinated in a lot of bands in different styles such as Death, Black, Gore Metal etc. He´s very friendly and easy guy to work with. And the guitarist, Blizzard, has been my friend for a long time, but his background was more into Heavy/Hard Rock/Blues bands, playing around the night in Rio. We could never imagine that we´d play together some day, and it has been really great so far! He´s also the guitarist of a post-Punk band called Arte no Escuro! I don´t consider our songs as extremely Doom, since I like to call it Heavy Doomed Rock music, but it´s only my interpretation.

10.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of doom metal?

I don´t know. Things are still in the very beginning. It seems to be good so, not only with Doom fans, but fans of Heavy music at all. Cd´s and tapes are selling better than I expected here in Brazil at least. Take in mind that we´re not rich bitches, have nobody than us working for the band, no advertisements, no pressing, and we are a brand new unknown band. And actually, we´re much more a project than a band (maybe it can change, anyway), even that we´d be really happy if a huge amount of people enjoy and support our music, we are not looking for instant success or something. I mean, we prefer to stand in our way if a kind of “success” comes to us naturally, instead to search desperate for it like insane adolescents into Rock. We´re already old guys for it. Let´s see what future will bring to us.


11.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?

Man, I have no idea…

12.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

I don´t know but maybe Black Sabbath, Hellhammer are the main cornerstones of our music at all, but of course that we had been affected by others bands and artists naturally. We listen to all kinds of good music from pop to what we call “extreme Metal” and bla, bla, bla… The same cliché, but it´s the only truth possible! Nunslaughter to Raul Seixas, Death SS to Turbonegro.. I don´t have too much interest on nowadays Black or Death Metal scene (with exceptions of course), but I still love the oldest underground bands from 80´s and 90´s, as well as for the heroes of 70´s, some great Progressive Rock (King Crimson and italian bands), Blues, Brazilian Rock, Punk, hardcore etc.. If you ask me more recent bands that I like (even that some are not too recent) I´d quote Electric Wizard, The Devil´s Blood, Lucifer, The Oath, …Please check out cool brazilian bands like Velho, Cult of Horror, Necro, Jupiterian…Communion from Chile is ever a killer South American Death/Black devoted band! Well, it´s an overview of few things I can recommend..
Last CD that I bought was from the band Demon Pact, an obscure and raw, but talented old NWOBHM band!!!


13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

Thanks for the interview! We´re looking for a label to release the vinyl version, get in touch!

Facebook.com/pombajira
Pombajira.bandcamp.com



No comments:

Post a Comment