Friday, July 25, 2014

Of Solitude And Solemn Interview


1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project? Of Solitude and Solemn is a doom metal project that incorporates elements of warm symphonics and post-rock leads and builds. The theme of the music is often melancholy but in rather a bittersweet, warm way as opposed to a depressing way. It feels more human this way and the musical genre helps me portray it in a climactic, dramatic and easy to get lost in format that I think is very emotionally powerful. I use it to get a lot of negetivity out of my system, therefore to me it is a very personal project. It's been incredibly humbling to see others be emotionally touched by what I find to be a very personal, esoteric rendition of emotion that I felt only I could understand.
2.So far you have released a demo and a split album, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on both recordings and also how do they differ from each other? The very first demo, the self-titled, is far doomier and oppressive where Starlight's Guide is more gentle, dreamier. This wasn't really a conscious decision, more just how the recordings turned out and I'm proud of both of them equally. I think the very first demo more reflects what the album will sound like when it is out but Starlight's Guide is no less powerful to me, and I'm equally as proud of it as anything I've ever done. In fact I think Guiding Light is my favorite recorded track I have out.
3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you explore with your music? Usually it reflects what I feel with my depression, anxiety and my difficult past. I don't like to be too obvious with it and I like leaving a lot open to interpretation and I also like twisting it in a way that it could be seen as a positive, warm message as opposed to just a negative one.
4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Of Solitude And Solemn'? Solitude and solemnity are two of the main themes of the emotional side of what I do. Despite being grammatically incorrect it's easy to remember and represents the sound very well. I think if I went back in time I'd have chose something else but it just stuck so I'm happy to keep using it.
5.With this project you play all of the musical instruments and do all the vocals, do you feel this gives you more freedom to be creative with your musical sound? Absolutely. As aforementioned, OSaS is a very personal project that deals with my own deepest feelings in almost a similar way to rehabilitation. It would be great to join a band one day but OSaS will always be a solo project for this reason alone.
6.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest? I have indeed received interest. As of right now I just don't think I have anything worthwhile to release physically, but when that changes I will look into options for printing and distribution. Or just do it myself.
7.Recently you have released a split album with Courtsleet, what are your thoughts on the other band that has participated on this recording? Gavin is a fantastic, passionate guy and a great musician. Working with him on this split was a pleasure and the process was far more creatively involved by both of us than what you'd expect on most splits and as such both sides really deserve to be heard back to back.
8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of post rock and doom metal? Pretty overwhelming! Though my following has been small from both fans of post-rock and doom metal I have had some very humbling responses to it, and some very touching words. It's all a musician can really ask for!
9.Are you currently involved with any other musical projects these days? I'm involved in several, a black/doom metal solo project and an ambient drone solo project. I'll let other people find them, though...
10.Where do you see this project heading into musically during the future? Currently I have no more plans than the debut album, Shelter in the Dying Light. There's no doubt I will continue recording music after this but I think it will be a slow process as OSaS music cannot be forced. We'll see what the future holds! The idea of making a band out of it and perhaps playing shows has been on my mind but I'm not holding my breath.
11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays? Post-rock and doom metal bands were highly influential such as Mournful Congregation, My Dying Bride, Jakob and Mono. However I found other bands equally as influential such as greats like Summoning and Esoteric. These days I find myself listening to bands like Esoteric, Anathema, Bohren & der Club of Gore and Dead Can Dance. As for recent albums I've been into the new Lethian Dreams album is wonderful, as is the new Triptykon record.
12.What are some of your non musical interests? I'm very much into computers, love building them. I'm a very avid gaming enthusiast!
13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts? Thank you for your time, I hope you like the album when it's done! I may only make music for myself but the fact others are interested is very flattering.

Bandcamp
Facebook
SoundCloud

No comments:

Post a Comment