1. For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the band?
We are Ceremonia, a Colombian-French quartet of Extreme Metal based in Paris since 2011. Actually we are promoting our self-produced debut album called "La Existencia Humana Debe Ser Un Error".
2. Last year the band released their first album, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording?
Is really hard to describe our musical sound but the main idea of the songs was to create a dark and melancholic sound to explore the deepest, sad, negative and morbid feelings of the human.
3. The band has been around since 2011 but waited until 2015, can you tell us a little bit more about the first 4 years?
Basically the first three years were pretty hard because we had a multiple line-up changes delaying the release of any stuff. Finally with the arrival of Youri (until then it was just Christian and Matthieu) on the lead guitar we managed to finish all the songs and release the first album; a year later Arthur came to play bass and complete a solid line-up.
4. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?
The lyrical topic is something that we don't like to talk about, we prefer to let everybody read the lyrics and make their own feelings, it's really more personal. Your second question summarize perfectly this point because for us the music and the lyrics make a single set.
5. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Ceremonia'?
First of all we wanted an explicit name who can symbolizes the idea of our sound; secondly, in spanish to conserve the idea that we always keep in mind: writing in this language.
6. The band members live in both France and Colombia, how does this work out in the recording process?
Actually all the band members live in France, so the recording process was easy. At the beginning all the members were colombian but gradually they left, the only colombian member who remains in the band is Christian.
7. Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?
Yes, we are a unsigned band but in recent months we have received a couple of deals from some labels but we haven't signed yet. We hope that finally something solid can be done very soon.
8. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of Doom and Death Metal?
Honestly the feedback has been pretty good, much better that we expected. We hope that the band can grow more and more so we can share our passion with people who likes this same kind of universe.
9. What is going on with some of the other bands or musical projects these days that some of the band members are a part of?
All the members plays in another group called OBSERVER (Matthieu plays keyboards and some guitar, Arthur play bass but sings and we have another drummer, Guillaume).
Two years ago we have released an EP called "Skyways In Details", and actually we are preparing to record our first album this summer. You can find more informations at:
10. Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?
This is something we can't really tell because we are influenced day-to-day but safely we can say that our music always will keep this heavy, dark and melancholy sound but always pushing our boundaries.
11. What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
We are influenced by a lot of music but we don't like to quote them because a lot of people who read the influences, sometimes will go to listen our music with a predetermined idea of these influences. The four members have different musical backgrounds but we like some stuff in common. Nowadays we are listening some recently releases like Secrets Of The Moon, Christian Death, Tribulation, etc…
12. What are some of your non musical interests?
Mainly cinema, especially, horror, thriller, science fiction and action movies.
13. Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
Thank you very much for the interview and taking the time to get to know us. For all who are interested in our stuff, please contact us at:
Don't hesitate to share our music with your friends, it's important that music can be shared.
† CEREMONIA †