Sunday, May 19, 2019

Neraterrae 2019 Interview

1.Can you give us an update on what has been going on with the musical project since the recording and release of the new album?
“The Substance of Perception” came out on April 26th via Cyclic Law, after over two years of unceasing work. Did I take a break from producing music since I completed the record and forwarded it to the label? Of course not. Basically I’ve been working on the follow up (which will be out in 2020) since then.
Apart from that, right after the album release, a video was realized by SMI Video for the track “Shadows of Regret” (featuring Northaunt). You can watch it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1dxxhqRCFs
I’m actually making up my mind about the next videoclip too.

2.Recently you have released a new album, how would you describe your musical progress on this recording from previous releases?
It’s been long journey, I feel like I’ve learned a lot throughout the process even though I still have to learn much.
I approached the music differently and I “watched” at it from other perspectives.
I think the tracks sound more immersive than ever, they have a strong evocative feel, and they have a strong character too.
Many techniques were adopted both mixing and mastering wise and what matters the most is that I’m happy with the results, and people seem to be enjoying the album too, which makes it all way gratifying.

3.While all of the earlier releases where instrumental, you added some spoken words and vocals on the new album, can you tell us a little bit more about it?
True, there are some vocals on this record.
You can clearly hear Alexey Tegin’s incomparabile voice on the second track “To Reveal the Unseen”, for example; well, that vocal line was recorded live, one take straight, no editing at all was made, I just treated it a bit in post-production, and the result is mysterious and beautiful.
Also you can notice the eerie voice of Treha Sektori on tracks 3 “Becoming the Nightmare” and 5 “That Which Shall Not Be Witnessed”. I’ve always been a fan of Treha Sektori’s Dehn Sora’s music visions, his unique style and language (yes, that’s his own language) are so original and inspiring and it was just great to have him part of the album.
Some spoken passages can be also heard on track 1 “Shadows of Regret”; that was Northaunt’s idea, which I found very intriguing and I think it gives the song an interesting nuance.

4.How would you describe the artwork that is presented on the new album cover?
The artwork for “The Substance of Perception” was realized by Nihil and Daria Endresen, and let me say that they’ve done a fantastic job, I couldn’t be happier about it. It perfectly fits the overall feel of the music and its theme. I find it to be evocative, a work of beauty enshrouded in mellow obscurity.
The limited edition CD comes in a stunning 6 panels digipak version, you’ve got to see that.

5.On the new album you also had some collaborations, can you tell us a little bit more about the musicians and musical projects that where a part of your new album?
Of course, “The Substance of Perception” features: (alphabetical order) Alexey Tegin from Phurpa, Flowers For Bodysnatchers, Infinexhuma, New Risen Throne, Northaunt, Taphephobia, Treha Sektori, Ugasanie, Xerxes The Dark.
The interesting part of the collaborations is that they were born in such a natural way; as I was almost done with the record, I asked these awesome people who I highly esteem to check it and to give me a feedback, suggestions and so on. Then it all happened. Musically speaking, no particular directions were given, not even regarding the theme of the record, I wanted all the people involved to feel free to express themselves.

6.The new album was also released on 'Cyclic Law', how did you get in contact with this label?
Right before finishing and mastering the album I started to look around label wise; the first-and-only label I sent an email to was Cyclic Law, I explained them what I was working on, they showed interest and asked me to let them listen to what I had so far, so I sent them the material, it was approved…and that’s pretty much it.

7.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your fans with the newer music?
I’ve been getting positive feedback from literally all around the world; I got messages and emails from people in Japan, Canada, Russia, South America, people I didn’t know and never spoken to before. Plus, I’ve received some really enthusiastic words from some of my favorite artists about, which is great.

8.What is going on with 'Alma Flua' these days?
We’re on hiatus, each one of us is working on personal projects. We’ll be back, hopefully, someday.

9.What are some of the bands or musical artists you are currently listening to nowadays?
Uhm, there are many. Some new music like: “Alive with Scars” by Flowers For Bodysnatchers, which is great; Bjärgö’s “Återstoden” ; “Exoplanetary” by Ruptured World, which is a phenomenal record with a very strong cinematic feel; “Ghosts on Broken Pavement” by Mount Shrine; “Diminution” by Leila Abdul-Rauf, a very diverse and evocative album; “Vulner” by The Nent, which is intriguing.
Of course I keep listening to what I consider some of the best Ambient/Dark Ambient (and related) records too (not strictly new works): “Ur Djupan Dal” by Atrium Carceri & Herbst9; “Black Corner Den” by Atrium Carceri & Cities Last Broadcast; “Endurance” and “Thirty” by Irezumi; “Opalescent” by Jon Hopkins; “Ava” and “Be Left to Oneself” by Keosz; “Beyond”, “Dark Matter” and “The Dark Places of the Earth” by Lustmord; “Human Stasis Habitat” by Phelios; “Nihtes Niht” by Troum & Aidan Baker; “Call of the North” and “Eye of Tunguska” by Ugasanie; plus Ulver, Ulver and some more Ulver.
Apart from the more Ambient/Electronic field, I’ve been listening to Death Cab For Cutie’s “Thank You for Today”, “Kintsugi”, “Codes and Keys”, “Narrow Stairs” and “Plans” for quite a lot.
Also, during the last week I’ve been spinning: Septicflesh’s “Sumerian Daemon”; “Spiritual Black Dimensions”, “Enthrone Darkness Triumphant” and “Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia” by Dimmu Borgir; Now In Colour’s self-titled album and a lot of Steven Wilson’s solo works.

10.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
Thanks for your time and your interest towards my music, much appreciated.
If you haven’t bought or listened to “The Substance of Perception” yet, you can find it at https://www.cycliclaw.com/releases/neraterr-the-substance-of-perception-cd-138th-cycle or https://neraterrae.bandcamp.com/releases

No comments:

Post a Comment