1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the band?
1. Nytt Land - is, first and foremost, a northern music based on Old Norse epic songs, which strongly emphasized ritual side. Our band now of 5 people. All experienced musicians, most of us have long engaged in the study and practice of the Northern Tradition. My wife and I started the band when waiting for the birth of our son, then this music has sounded in us, and we started recording the first tracks. The first album was an experiment, no one expected that there will be continued. But apparently the Gods were pleased J
2.How would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording?
2. Our music is our ministry to the North, to his memory. This ritual, each of our songs it's part of the ritual.
3.Your music is inspired by the Eddas, can you tell us a little bit about your interest in Norse Paganism, and also are you interested in the Paganism of your home country?
3. In Russia now there is a new wave of paganism heyday. Many esoteric and oriental. Many mixing eastern occultism with various European traditions - but this is just the tip. Often these forms of paganism is nothing but a facade.
Nordic tradition is very close to our culture. In my opinion the Old Norse culture is the most complete surviving European culture. North kept the myths, epics and music. The roots of the Nordic tradition is very strong, and based on them, it is growing and developing, and we grow in it.
4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Nytt Land'?
4. This is virgin land on which we are working. We sow the grain, wise poems Edda, the ancient wisdom of the North.
5.What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and also how would you describe your stage performance?
5. Each performance in its own particular. Each performance is an experience from the design and preparation, and to the last note. Of the latter, probably the most memorable performances - big show with the Wardruna band in Moscow and performance in Viking village “Svargas”.
6.Do you have any touring or show plans for the future?
6. Oh yes. At this summer we are preparing to play show on several large festivals – “Folk Summer Fest”, “Sky & Earth”, “Abalak Shields” and some. And we are preparing concerts to the fall 2016, some interesting big concerts in different cities of Russia.
7.The album was released on 'Crush The Desert Records', can you tell us a little bit more about this label?
7. Our second album was released on the label 'Crush The Desert Records'. I like how they do the deal. Here in Russia, most labels is only concerned with the publication of, a little promotional work. CTD already a year in constant touch with us. He tells about all the events related to our release, finding partners, reviews, and interviews. In fact, fully engaged in the promotional release on the level that it is available. It's a very good job!
8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of ritualistic and dark ambient?
8. We are only at the beginning of our path. Yes, the feedback is, Yes, the return is, people write good reviews. We often communicate with fans from Europe and America by Facebook. We are constantly working, our task is still a good foothold on the world music scene. So we try not to freeze in our music, constantly experimenting with different facets of the ritual. If you have not heard the album 2016 – Sköpun: SONGS FROM ELDER EDDA - I highly recommend you to listen to him, you will find the difference from the previous release. But at the same time, they are very similar.
9.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?
9. Yes, I probably repeat. Our goal - the world music scene, it makes no sense to sit in one place if you have already taken the first step. At the same time - there is a concept, which we adhere to in our work, in our music. Our concept - is an epic of ancient north, namely Elder Edda. Not otherwise. Otherwise, it will be another band and other music. Our music - serving the North. And we want as many people as possible to have touched this ancient greatness.
10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
10. Oh, first of all it must Sveinbjörn Beinteinsson, Freya Aswynn and Hilmar Örn Hilmarsson. Their music, creativity, and position in life inspire us in many ways. Of course the cult Norwegian black metal band, like Burzum, Immortal, Gorgoroth and some other. I like the music of such bands as Valravn, Garmarna, Sigur Rós. Wardruna - they're cool guys, they do a great show! I listen to a little music, mainly ethnic and ritual.
11.What are some of your non musical interests?
11. My non musical interests - but there are almost none, all my interests and hobbies are somehow connected with my music J
The only activity, even rather deal of my life - this is my son, his upbringing. I'll re-discover the world for myself with him. In this case there is almost no music. Just walk, play, learn - grow up together. Sometimes he likes to rattle drums or play the piano, but he is still a child, and it's just fun for him.
12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
12. Yes, remember - all that Allfather would like to tell the people, he said in Elder Edda.