Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Catafalque Interview

1.Can you give us an update on what is going on with the band these days?



Thomas: Non-stop song writing! After we finished ‘Catafalque’ we originally planned to take a break from writing/recording, but the inspiration kept coming so we kept going!



Dan: Yep, we’re already planning a couple of splits and that tricky second album. We’re also trying to set up a few live performances before 2019 is out.



2.Recently you have released your first album, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style you went for on the recording?



Thomas: Catafalque began as a collab between my Harsh Noise Project; The Dead Yesterdays, and Dan’s Drone Doom Project; Mostly Hair and Bones. We liked the result so much we decided to form a permanent band, but we’ve still maintained that collaborative approach. This is what I’ve always liked the most about Catafalque, the fact it is so natural and organic. There’s never been any strong urge to confirm to any particular musical style or genre, it’s more about responding to what the other person has recorded.



Dan: As Thomas said, we weren’t really trying to set out to make an album in a specific style. We each have a lot of different influences and it was great being able to reference whichever we liked. There were no rules at all. If we like it, we used it. We did however consciously try to fill the space in our recordings where appropriate and also leave spaces for the tracks to breathe.



3.Most of the music was instrumental while vocals where brought in at times, are you planning on expanding the vocals on future releases?



Thomas: For sure, vocals will definitely become more of a prominent feature on future releases and live shows.



4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Catafalque'?



Dan: A catafalque is a framework that supports a coffin during a funeral or whilst a person of importance is lying in state. I’ve always liked the word and I suppose it has a fairly macabre meaning to it. I suggested it to Thomas as I felt it fit the music we’d recorded up to that point pretty well. Luckily he liked it as much as I did!



5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover?



Dan: Absolutely. Again it’s fairly macabre and is an image of an old African (I believe) stringed musical instrument made out of a human skull, antelope horns, skin, gut and hair. I came across it a while back and it stuck with me. As soon as we started recording and I heard the resulting sounds I knew we had to use it. I included the still from The Exorcist 3 inside the CD cover as it’s a fucking awesome film!



6.Currently there are only 2 members in the band, are you open to expanding your line up or do you prefer to remain a duo?



Thomas: I definitely wouldn’t be adverse to expanding our line up if the right opportunity presented itself, though given the density of our sound already I’m not sure there’s enough room left in the mix for another member!



Dan: I think for recording it works so well with just the 2 of us but I also wouldn’t be averse to guest musicians! I think live is where we’d probably benefit most from more pairs of hands!



7.The album was released on 'Trepanation Recordings', can you tell us a little bit more about this label?



Dan: Well Trepanation Recordings was started by me immediately prior to us recording ‘Catafalque’. I have run a noise Netlabel (Throne of Bael Records) for a few years and wanted to start a label focussing on the extreme and experimental side of metal which also produced limited edition runs of professionally made physical components. I thought that the album was a perfect first release so I could get a better handle on the process involved. Trepanation Recordings already has a number of other releases planned for late 2019/early 2020 and the roster is expanding. There are so many great artists and bands out there that deserve to be heard. I want to do my part in making sure they are.



8.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of drone, harsh noise, and doom metal?



Thomas: I think there’s always a danger when you create something that touches on multiple genres without fitting into a neat pigeon hole that it’ll end up being unpalatable for everyone, but that really doesn’t seem to have been the case with Catafalque and I’ve been pretty humbled by the reception we’ve had so far. Particularly in Metal circles we seem to create a certain amount of consternation – folk aren’t necessarily sure what to make of us - but at the same time we still manage to pull them into our hypnotically horrible vision!



Dan: It’s been remarkably positive! I’m still shocked to be honest!



9.What is going on with some of the other bands or musical projects these days that some of the band members are a part of?



Thomas: My noise project The Dead Yesterdays as been sorely neglected while I’ve been focusing on Catafalque, but this means I’ve only been putting out a couple of releases a month! My next album ‘Adrift in the Dark’ will be released on Void Singularity Recordings on the 28th of July. It’s an hour long harsh noise wall exploring themes of alienation and isolation.



Dan: I play bass in a band called Mastiff and we released our latest album ‘Plague’ through APF Records on 1st February. We’re still playing whatever shows we can supporting this as well as beginning work on the follow up. We have a number of shows throughout the UK in 2019. Come check us out!



10.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?



Thomas: Denser and heavier atmospheres! I really want to see how far we can take this sound of ours.

Dan: I want to create the most unsettlingly hypnotic album the world has ever know.





11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?



Thomas: To answer all those questions in one I think there have been some absolutely amazing music released over the last 12 months and it’s those bands who are pushing the envelope on what ‘heavy music’ means and moving in new directions which inspire me the most. I couldn’t not mention SUNN O))), and Life Metal has been in my frequent rotation since it dropped. That a band who did so much to define a genre and have such a recognisable sound can then drop an album like this which completely reinvigorates it while keeping reference points is really exciting. Other notable mentions for me would be ‘Magus’ by Thou, which I’m still not bored of, and ‘Weeping Choir’ by Full of Hell, I would definitely see ‘Weeping Choir’ as the benchmark in terms of heaviness I’d want to achieve with future releases!



Dan: As far as influences go with Catafalque, I’d have to say Sunn O))), Godflesh, ‘Psalm 69’ era Ministry, Gnaw Their Tongues and of course The Body. I’ve been listening to a lot of the early Earache bands such as Fudge Tunnel and OLD recently. I’ve also been on a massive Khanate binge and been totally digging Author & Punisher, Crowhurst and Lingua Ignota.



12.What are some of your non musical interests?



Thomas: There are things not related to music?! Seriously though I live in a small rural town on the east coast of Scotland and love hitting the trails and beaches for a good run.



Dan: I don’t have time for non-music related things! Hahaha! Seriously though, I just tend to spend quality time with my wife and son when I’m not doing music. I am a big darts fan too (although not much of a player).



13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?



Dan: Just thanks for taking the time to interview us and expect to see much more of Catafalque in the future.

https://www.facebook.com/Catafalque-589705908178358/

No comments:

Post a Comment