Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Grave Of Love Interview

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the band?

Hello! The band started in 2017, and right in the beginning it was just me. I recorded myself the whole 'Decay' EP in May/June '17 and few months later it was released by Rage in Eden Records on CD. I always loved neofolk music and wanted to do something based on that genre for many years, yet always I have probably been afraid in some way of playing acoustic guitar and sing with clean voice. It's like being naked - before Grave of Love all music I did was loud and much more extreme. While making first Grave of Love material I really wanted to make it diversified - have some pure neofolk songs, then some martial ones or even noise stuff.

2.So far you have released 2 ep's, musically how do they both differ from each other?

I think 'Decay' has a little bit different mood. It was recorded in really rough times for me. 'Rites of Change' has bigger dynamics, power and feeling of some hope? Also last song - 'Goodbye Little Traitor' - was recorded with my drummer Marcel Łękawa, who is currently playing also on new album. We have been playing together live since the beginning of 2019.

3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you have explored so far with the music?

Lost love, emptiness, misery, struggling with life and existence, trying to leave the past behind.

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Grave Of Love'?

It was taken from Death in June lyrics - 'Accidental Protege' song. I had an idea to use it as a band name for many months before even starting recording the first material. I really like the sound of this name and some of the lyrics actually correspond very well with it. It brings you some grief when you hear it.

5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the ep cover?

I wanted to make really minimal artwork for this one and let the music speak by itself. We use few symbols - logos, the one used on 'Rites of Change' front cover is made mainly from algiz runes. I love how it looks, it was made by my friend AZ. On the top of the artwork you can also see eihwaz rune. I don't use too much runes, yet these two are very personal and close to me and I felt I need to use them here.

6.What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and also how would you describe your stage performance?

Best shows are definitely the two shows we played in March 2019 supporting ROME in Warsaw and Cracow. Great feedback, amazing shows. Also few days ago we had great opportunity to play at Castle Party Festival, for us it was first time to perform as trio - we added electric guitar to the arrangements. The show was really good! I have always good memories from Dziwny Event in 2018 - that show I was playing alone - only voice and guitar. To this day I meet people who have seen Grave of Love there and say it was really good one.

7.Do you have any touring or show plans for the future?

Currently we have only one show booked - Temple of Silence Festival in September. I really hope there will be more soon.

8.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?

As we finish mixing our new record soon we are going to check out who would be interested in releasing it. There is also possibility Rage in Eden would like to do this - we really enjoyed working with them on 'Decay' EP.

9.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of neo folk?

So far it was really great. We receive a lot of positive feedback all the time, also all our shows had great reception. It's really great! Main thing for now is to get to as many people who may like our music as we can - promotion is the key.

10.When can we expect a full length and also where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?

Hopefully this year, almost all instruments are recorded, I'm going to record vocals in August/September. The new album has much more 'live' feeling. It also took us into brand new musical areas. It's not being a copy of other bands - we are seeking our own path in neofolk. Who has seen us live lately will know what I'm talking about.

11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

Among the influences there are for sure Death in June, Sol Invictus, Herr Lounge Corps, Boyd Rice/NON, :Of the Wand and the Moon:, Les Chasseurs de la Nuit, C93, Arktau Eos, Swans and many many more. You asked what do I listen to nowadays - a lot Lingua Ignota, King Diamond, King Midas Sound and Valborg - as you see they are completely different things.

12.Can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in history and occultism?

I was always interested in history. Mainly ancient times and World War II. Occultism - well, persons like Aleister Crowley and Austin Osman Spare definitely had big influence on me. Although somehow nowadays I deal with it more like with the philosophy and seek some new ideas. It's very interesting thing, like whole man's mind.

13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

Thank you very much for this interview. Check out our brand new EP 'Rites of Change' on http://graveoflove.bandcamp.com , it's also available Spotify etc. For more informations follow us on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment