Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Yunclas Interview

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?
Yunclas is a project that begins in 2016, from the most absolute do it yourself and with the intention of bringing a political vision to the electronic music scene.I had used to be in hardcore, punk or rock bands, but when I discovered the versatility and freedom of electronic music production and the Ableton program I got into it

2.You have released a good  amount of material over the last few years, how would you describe the musical progression you have made over that time period with those recordings?
 I think my first productions like "Quebraes" didn't have such a "techno" concept and it was more about developing an idea without regard to specific structures or specific production processes. They were more made in the manner of old industrial music projects, no matter how much I care whether or not this way of producing and this sound matched the standards of the music production of the techno scene. Gradually I have focused more on the production on a more "techno" scheme, although for me the important thing is always the freedom to develop one idea rather than making a danceable track .My last record on the Dutch label "Otomo" I think is the purest and structurally "Industrial-techno" of all I've ever done.

3.A lot of your song themes touch of communism, revolutionary or leftist politics, can you tell us a little bit more about what these mean to you?
I'm a political and militant person since I became socially conscious when I was a teenager so that translates into my music because it's an essential part of my way of being. I believe that the capitalist system is a cancer for humanity and we must fight it and establish relationships that are outside capitalist forms. I also try to reclaim the moments of struggle and antagonism where the forces opposed to the Capital had their strong moment and were able to face it sometimes in a victorious way.

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Yunclas'?

Linguistically Yunclas comes from a word in my Asturian language that designates the little anvil with which a scythe is lined.
My inspiration is a deep, dark pulse. From where I start it is always from dark and deep territories. It's an escape from complacency and comfort. For me, music is confrontation and antagonism.

5.On the reworked version of your 2017 album that you recently released you also used different cover artwork, can you tell us a little bit more about the change?
I just changed the cover to differentiate one version from the other. In both, however, I used a photo collage from the time of the Italian revolutionary period of the 70s.

6.With this project you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with any other musicians or do you prefer to remain solo?
So far I have only tried to collaborate on a common project with a musician from Brazil but the result is very slow and i am not convinced.
However, I am open to collaborating with other projects that have a little the same philosophy as mine.

7.Have you done any live shows with this musical project?
yes, I've had several live shows. I am preparing and changing the development of the live as I make new tracks and incorporating new sounds and machines.

8.You also run 'Grabaciones Autobombo' can you tell us a little bit more about this label?
The label was created to edit my music by myself and also that of friends who wanted to collaborate.  I've edited several cassettes but lately I only edit digitally. The reason is to have a platform to not depend on anyone and to have total freedom to do whatever I want. However, I have also released with more labels such as Nen Records from Russia, Xtraperlo Records from Madrid, Otomo de Holanda or Antagonist Field of France.

9.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of industrial, techno and other dark forms of music?
I think the reaction has been good, especially among the people who are more into the underground and less in the commercial sounds of Techno. People who listen to my music and who have a musical background more focused on scenes outside the conventional electronics market I think have a positive reaction to what I try to do.

10.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician in the future?
I don't know what I can do in the future. Really the motivations for making music are purely personal and individual. Establishing such a musical project is a purely personal initiative that responds to an individual need. I don't expect success or recognition, although it's always nice to be recognized for work, but the reality is that it doesn't go any further or it's made for anything that isn't pure personal expression.

11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

There is a lot of music that has influenced me but in particular for this project above all I have been influenced by people who have had another look from techno to the traditional, such as Abdulla Rashim, Varg (not Burzum, the swedish producer), or SHCXCHX...  also old and industrial music projects such as SPK or Cosey Fanni Tutti, Etat Brut... or dark ambient like Lustmord or Raison d'etre, and others like MZ412. kraut rock bands, especially Can, and also other better known things like Pink Floyd, Hendrix, King Krimson etc.

12.What are some of your non musical interests?
social history, claiming movements, cats, beach and good food.


13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

Thank you very much for the interest in my project and a lot of luck and strength to carry out the fanzine. These types of publications are indispensable to be able to keep the underground alive.

https://soundcloud.com/yunclas

No comments:

Post a Comment