Friday, July 12, 2019

Tir Interview

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the  musical project?

Tir is a one-man-project which I founded in 2016 and is inspired from Black Metal’s dark roots. My first album, Mountains, was released by Elegy Records (USA) in 2016. In addition, It also published it as a limited edition cassette in Turkey.

2.So far you have released 2 albums, musically how do they both differ from each other?

My first album contains a dark and chaotic atmosphere with dungeon synth melodies and more minimal parts. My sophomore album Urd, Skuld & Verdandi stayed connected to the dungeon synth roots and folk melody while maintaining a dark atmosphere throughout. There are two songs with vocal in this album, whereas, Mountains was totally instrumental. Also, some songs includes poems. I can say that the intensity of the instrumental performance increased on the second album too.

3.Some of the songs on the new album had some lyrics, can you tell us a little bit about the lyrical content you have brought into your music so far?

Exactly, as you said, there are two songs with lyrics on the album - so this is a new thing for Tir.
Memories in the Shadow’s lyrics were written by my friend Peter Kassel from The Munich Opera. I
think, this lyric was written with great melancholy and appeared significantly in the song when combined with Thomas Helm’s vocal. By the way this song was the my single from the album. The other song's lyrics belong to Khalil Cibran and they were also drenched in melancholy.  I wish to work with both lyricists again very soon.

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name Tir?

Tir means justice god in Nordic mythology. But in Turkish the meaning is to be alone and one. Being
alone matched my musical understanding when I decided the project name. Nordic Mythology is very meaningful to me. The reason Tir is revealed is that empathize with the roots of the dark arts. That's exactly my perspective on metal music. Due to the nature of Black Metal, the raw, foreign and dark atmosphere is the biggest detail that makes up Tir. My insistence on the Dungeon Synth line is my desire to share these roots with the audience with a different detail. As a result, Burzum’s Hliðskjálf and Dauði Baldrs albums also belong to the roots of the BM.

5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover?

I made an effort to keep the art minimal for the booklet.  The cover design photo was taken during a hiking trip in Germany with my wife after Mountains was released. The background photo belongs to a autumn evening in Rhön forest. As I said before, I am trying to be minimalist for everything. Things that I want to tell should be kept secret in melodram.

6.Both of the albums are recorded by yourself, do you have any history of playing in bands or working with other musicians?

In my youth, I played trombone and piano in a local orchestra. I've been in music for years but I waited to find Tir.
Sometimes you shouldn't be on the way if you're not mature yet.  And Yes, everything on the second album was written and played by me. I enjoyed it. It is very nice to produce something alone. Meanwhile, the mix & master of the second album was done by my dear friend Markus Stock (aka Empyrium-Sun of the Sleepless)

7.The album was released on Repose Records, how did you get in contact with this label?

Repose Records is a newly formed label. Tom is someone who's music knowledge I believe in as well as his plans for the future. Nhor made me contact him. I am really pleased with this!

8.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of dungeon synth?

Although there is not many DS followers in Turkey, responses are positive. The reactions I get from the world are really spectacular. Especially people who have been interested in this music for years have a close follower have written a lot of positive things for Tir on social media.

9.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?

It's really hard to answer, but I'd like to say that I've waited too long for the Tir project. I mean, I have tried to understand the dark structure of Black Metal especially for many years to gain this experience. With all these inspirations and influences, I did not have a clear target when I left. But at least I want to say that; I know that I will produce many more products and projects about dark art.

10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and
also what are you listening to nowadays?

My answer to this question is undoubtedly Black Metal. The shape and theme of my music is based on the BM dark, raw and tense atmosphere. But Burzum, Wongraven, Empyrium and Nhor, on the other hand, have certainly inspired all my compositions.  I really have no desire to listen to a lot of the new bands in the scene - the amazing bands and productions of the 80s and 90s are really enough for me. But I just want to emphasize the Icelandic detail. A significant and powerful current is rising. Misysyrming comes at the top!

11.Does Paganism play any role in your music?

Of course. Nature is the focal point to which all musical structure belongs! Tir's shaping has diversified itself by influencing the details of pagan and shaman unique. Already, the biggest
result of this influence was the Urd, Skuld & Verdandi album title.
Also 2 poems from the last album are quoted from ancient pagan inscriptions. I also thinkthat shamanism and paganism are very similar beliefs.

12.What are some of your non musical interests?

I read all the time. Especially astronomy and science genres are among the books I read most. If I have more time, I can say that I like camping with my wife in nature.

13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

Thank you again for your interest. I invite everyone on the dark journey of Urd, Skuld &
Verdandi. This journey will be really enjoyable to understand the dark art. I will also have an important and beautiful statement about my Mountains album in autumn. I will be announcing this through my social media accounts.

tirofficial.bandcamp.com
instagram.com/tirofficial/
twitter.com/tirofficialband
facebook.com/tirofficialpage

No comments:

Post a Comment