Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Earthflesh Interview

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?

Music will speak for itself, I suppose. EARTHFLESH, however, is a newborn in the harsh noise, experimental scene. The project already released a series of full lengths, splits and participated in a bunch of compilations. Lots of things in less than a year of existence. Happy to be here, though, thanks for listening.

2.Recently you have released a new album. Musically, how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past?

As for every release since its inception, EARTHFLESH goes one-step further into its own Worlds of noise. "CARVING PATHS TO SELF-DESTRUCTION" consists of two very different tracks delving between dreamy synths, drone and raw harsh noise. Contrast is really strong on this release which, in my opinion, differs a lot from most of the project solo recordings which were way more harsh and monolithic.

3.Since  2019 you have released a lot of albums. Do you spend a great amount of time writing and creating music?

It's been a challenging and exciting period experimenting with noise and feedback since I started with this project by the end of 2019. Results of those experiments have been documented through various recordings ; most of them being the results of one-shot raw improvisations, others being slightly edited versions where various recordings have sometimes been brought together as a single piece. Quite a lot of time has been spent making noise since I started with EARTHFLESH and lots have been recorded but I only release a thing when I'm really happy with it ; which is not always as easy as it seems, even if it may look like I release a lot. If I don't find it good enough I just throw it all away and start a new session, pure and simple. Writing music and taking hours to build a track, step by step, is some sort of process I try to avoid with this project which definitely stands in opposition to any musical activities I've ever been a part of in the past. I want my noise to be a raw and direct expression of what comes out of my head at the moment it is processed through my fingers and my machines.

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Earthflesh'?

EARTHFLESH is the combination of two very strong and universal words. It's about primitive forces, spiritual essence, pain, suffering, life and death, creation and destruction. One can read it and feel it differently depending on the perspective but that's what it means to me.

5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover?

I have been obsessed with circles for years. Artwork on this new record comes from a photo of Stefan Cosma which represents some kind of circular thing one can hardly identify. Life is a spiral mistery and so is this photo. It brings some visual emotions which I find pretty much accurate with the album title and the artistic intention behind the whole thing.

6.With this project you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to remain solo?

I'm happy with experimenting all alone for now but I can't say what comes next and if I will feel like collaborating with other musicians in a different way other than regular splits and one-off collaborations.

7.You have also been a part of a couple of splits these years, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical projects you have shared these recordings with?

I have been honored to share some splits and collaborations with truly inspiring artists and human beings so far.

Juanito))) from Catalunya (Spain) was the first to accept such a thing. We collaborated on the "TORRES DE RUIDO" single track, building and assembling layers over layers, exchanging sound files by e-mail and slowly putting it all together ; the result is super intense, the soundtrack of a World turning to flames, crushing to say the least. Juanito)))'s solo work is amazing as well and you should definitely check out his prolific discography.

Second split I had the chance to share was with the great Ken Jamison from Portland, Oregon (USA) and his project Crepuscular Entity. I have been really digging Ken's work with Crepuscular Entity and his harsh noise wall alter ego Hana Haruna in particular for a while. When he suggested to do a split together I just felt like a child getting his Christmas present. The result is a three tracks extra-long noise venture. One track per project and a third one being a mix of the two. Really dense!

A couple other collaborations and splits are already on the pipe and some others are soon to be released. Exciting times!

8.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of harsh noise?

Like most artists, I don't care much about reactions since I do it all for myself at first. However it makes me feel good to be accepted by my peers in the scene. From what I have heard, it looks like some people are pretty enthusiastic about it all. EARTHFLESH has been gaining followers from all over the World, from Russia to Brasil, USA, Japan, Australia, Europe and beyond. That's a weird thing for a project started from scratch a couple months ago from someone totally new to this kind of sounds.

9.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?

I don't think much about the future, to be honest. I have been releasing music on my own Bandcamp and through various netlabels like Nailed Nazarene Industries (Brasil) and Basement Corner Emissions (USA) and I'm really happy with it all. Those partners are great and I just hope we'll be able to keep working together and spread some more noise all over the Planet. In terms of new plans there is of course new music to come and some physical releases to follow soon as well. Everything is to be announced on due time through my channels. Future seems bright on the EARTHFLESH side.

10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

Coming from the Doom and Black metal scene, that kind of sounds and atmospheres most certainly influenced my own actual views and sensibilities related to music creation and DIY ethics. I however feel no particular influence when coming to make sound through EARTHFLESH.

Now if I really had to give a name in the list of bands that influenced my views on music I would certainly invoke Koreisch, from the UK which have been an active band at the end of the 90s. Their unique record called "This Decaying Schizophrenic Christ Complex" totally changed my mind when I first got to listen to it. A sort of grindcore melted with doom and black metal with some true noise influences.

Talking about music I listen nowadays, there is a lot but nothing too harsh : Run the Jewels' "4", Low's complete discography, Andy Shauf's "The Party", lots of fado.

11.What are some of your non musical interests?

Walking, staring at the sea, taking good care and spending time with my daughters...

12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

Thanks for taking the time to listen to EARTHFLESH and giving me the opportunity to talk about it a bit. Speak soon!

https://earthflesh.bandcamp.com
https://earthflesh.tumblr.com
http://facebook.com/earthfleshnoise

No comments:

Post a Comment