Monday, November 16, 2020

Gaia Guarda Interview

 


1.Can you give us an update on what is going on with the solo project these days?

Gaia: I just released my debut after spending 6 years working on it. I will admit that basically my life, in the last few weeks, as been preparation for that launch and packing up orders now that it is out.


2.Recently you have released a new album, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style you went for on the recording?

Gaia: I wrote the album without really thinking about what genre it would be part of, now that I have had more time to analyze the music, it fits into the trip hop, more specifically into NeoClassical Dark Wave. I grew up listening to Depeche Mode and Björk, which really influenced the songs on this record. 


3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you explore with the newer music?

Gaia: This record is extremely personal. I feel like the main difference with how I expressed myself in this project is how raw and vulnerable I let myself be.  I used those songs to deal with past trauma, depression and abuse. I did a lot of introspection, thinking about my own destructive behaviors and I kinda deep dive into them and wrote my heart out. The album sounds a bit depressing, but I feel like it is the opposite. I took all my pain and used it to make something positive with it. If there's one thing I hope that people will get from this album is that no matter how hopeless things can get, you can use the pain in a constructive way. 



4.You also have a background in metal, how would you compare your solo material to the metal style you play with your full time band?

Gaia: While I feel like the two genres are very different from each other, I feel like there's still a common ground with some songs. The harp was also used for the latest record of Uriel on a few songs, and we even finished the album with an acoustic song with me and my harp. I also believe that metalheads are one of the most open-minded communities, the album was welcomed with open arms, and I am so so thankful for that. 


5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover?

Gaia: The artwork was done by my good friend Jonathan Sardelis (Synesthema), it's based on a picture from a photoshoot I did this summer. You see me holding my harp with roses and vines around me. I feel like I look like a sea witch, and I am loving it ahah.


6.With your solo project you record everything by yourself but have experience working with a full band, how would you compare the two?

Gaia: It was a lot of fun! I did all the synths at home, then we added the strings on top of the lines I had already written and recorded them at Studio PM in Montreal. 

Piano, strings and harp were recorded there and after a few months I went to Oshawa to record my vocals with Tyler Williams (Lindsay Schoolcraft's producer) and he did the mixing and mastering. I was more stressed since I had more responsibility when it comes to coordinate the musicians, usually with my band I just show up to my recording dates and Phil's (our bassist and second vocalist in Uriel). Now I actually had to be there to make sure my vision was 100% respected. 


7.On the new album you also have a couple of guests, can you tell us who they are and also their contributions to the recording?

Gaia: I have in total 3 guests, the biggest one being Rocky Gray ( original drummer of Evanescence, We Are The Fallen, Lindsay Schoolcraft etc..), he did the drums on all the tracks. I am grateful that he worked on the project, I am a big fan of him since I was a kid. I also got my bandmates Jessica Ricard (cello) and Ariane Paquette (violin) to do the strings on the album, I have to give a mention to Ariane who made Jess and I cry a bunch of time with her amazing violin solos. 


8.The new album was released on 'Pentapus Records', can you tell us a little bit more about this label?

Gaia: It's my own label, after running into scams a few years ago, I decided to release my album by myself. I love octopus, and I felt like Pentapus was a really cool name for a label so this is how it was born :)


9.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of darkwave and neo classical? 

Gaia: The reaction has been amazing so far, both from fans of metal and electronic music. I am really thankful, I had no idea how it would be received but so far fans seems to be nicely surprised! 


10.What is going on with your other band 'Uriel' these days?

Gaia: We are into a second lockdown in Montreal at the moment, it makes it hard for us to push the project. We do have new songs on the making at the moment, we are also talking about making acoustic versions of our latest album ! I'm super excited for this, I hope I get to play more harp in the future with them !


11.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?

Gaia: I love being an independent musician, so being on a label that isn't mine is not really into what I want for my career at the moment. I am working really hard towards my dream of being able to do music full time, I've dedicated my entire life to this dream. Hopefully, this is what the future has for me, I know that I will keep pushing until I can make this my reality. I also want to release more music, I'm crazing it like crazy lately !


12.What are you listening to nowadays?

Gaia: I've been obsessed with Amy Lee's collaboration with Bring Me The Horizon and also I've been listening nonstop to Lindsay Schoolcraft's new harp album Worlds Away. It's such an amazing and emotional album, can't be more proud of her!


13.What are some of your non musical interests?

Gaia: I love plants, I currently have around 95 plants at my place. My boyfriend and I have a room in our basement dedicated to them! I'm a big fan of begonias, I think they are the craziest looking plants. 


14.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

Gaia: Thank you for what you do for underground musicians, we are grateful that medias like you give us a voice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment