Saturday, November 14, 2020

Taurwen Interview

 


1.For those that have never heard of you so far, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?


Taurwen is the one-man Dungeon Synth project based in Istanbul, Turkey. In this project, I produce a music influenced by the melancholic and mighty atmosphere of the Medieval. Of course, I've been a good listener of Black Metal and Old-School Dungeon Synth for many years, this is a big factor. In old my times, I recorded a lot of compositions on Dungeon Synth and Dark Ambient, but I didn't release them. Finally, I decided to realize the Taurwen project professionally in 2019. I have successfully released my debut album. I keep walking towards the dark horizon.


 


2.In July you had released an album, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style that you went for on the recording?


I recorded the album in about 3-4 months. Actually, I never had a hard time recording this album because I had planned the tracks earlier. As musical style, it contains epic and pastoral elements. On the album, You can easily hear mix of Dark Folk and Neoclassical sounds with Dungeon Synth and Dark Ambient.


3.What are some of the concepts and themes you bring into your musical vision?


Medieval, Nature, Myths, Folklore, Fantasy , Darkness and Sadness. That is all.


4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Taurwen'?


Taurwen derives the band name from elements named Quenya and Sindarin. It means old-growth forest or virgin forest. So Tolkien's Silmarillion. I'm not a LOTR concept band on my albums, but of course this mysterious world affects me.


 


5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover?


Album cover, a work by Edward Robert Hughes entitled Valkyrie Vigil. Actually, all the artwork on this album belongs to Edward Robert Hughes. His paintings are fascinating, this inspire me.


6.With this project you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to remain solo?


I prefer to work completely solo. It makes me feel more comfortable. I like to design the all story myself, and I record it that way, but maybe I can make a split album with a band in the future. this could be good.


 


7.The cassette version of the album was released by 'Hermetic Transmissions', can you tell us a little bit more about this label?


Hermetic Transmissions, a great label based in San Diego, California. This label has released many amazing projects. I'm so happy to work with Luke (label owner) on this album. Released 50 limited pro-tapes (still available).


 


8.On the album you also had the main person behind 'Tir' make a guest appearance on one of your songs, can you tell us a little bit more about his contribution to the recording?


Tir is a very important band to me. He is the first Dungeon Synth band in Turkey. I like listening to his music. We were in communication with Oytun (aka Tir) when I recorded the album. We thought it'd be nice to a duet song with Tir on this album. Also, This album was mastered by Orko Entertainment. It was an honor to cooperate with him. Greetings to Tir!


9.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of dark ambient, dungeon synth and neo classical?


I've had great feedback and that makes me so happy. I wonder what people think because it's my debut album.  Thank you, everyone.


 


10.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?


I will always continue the Taurwen Project, but I have a side project plan in the future, like Black Metal and Neofolk. I'm waiting for the right time to do this.


 


11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?


Burzum, Mortiss (90's), Summoning, Darkthrone, Emperor are the groups that give the most direction to Taurwen. Apart from this, I'd like to say that I was inspired by some Neofolk and Doom Metal bands. I listen to Ulver's latest album nowadays.


 


12.What are some of your non musical interests?


I love hiking in the woods. I do this very often. Nature is a true treasure of wonders and beauty. Open your heart on the next walk in the forest and deliberately enjoy with all your senses.


 


13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?


Many thanks for everything,  I'm going to start working on my second album soon. Cheers!




-Oguzhan Durukan (aka Taurwen)  


No comments:

Post a Comment