Sunday, April 22, 2012

Rare Candy Interview

1. Can you tell us a little bit about the project for those that have never heard of you before?

Rare Candy is a melodic metal influenced 8bit project. I started it in June 2011 after leaving my previous band, Elctrikchair. It's no secret that a lot of metalheads are closet nerds, so with this project, I aim to appeal to the inner nerd of these metalheads, showing that video game music can be heavy too.

2. How would you describe your musical sound?

Melodic, that's for sure. While writing this album, I contemplated whether or not I should add vocals. I decided against it, and went towards a more atmospheric and dynamic route including harmonies, counter-melodies, specific filters on keyboard lines etc. 

3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?

Well, with this new album "The Truth", all of the songs are instrumental, leaving the meaning of the material up to the listener. However, I did base the song titles off of the current Pokemon TCG deck I use in tournaments, so I wrote the songs accordingly to how I perceive each Pokemon would have their own theme music. For example, "Kyurem" is a powerful, majestic, Ice-Dragon Pokemon, so I wrote the song in a powerful, melodic, 5/4 timing feel. 

4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the bands name?

The name Rare Candy comes from Pokemon (if you haven't guessed already, I am a huge fan) as it is an item within the game that automatically levels up one of your Pokemon. In relation to it being a band name, I took it to a more literal "Rare Candy" as the music is something you don't hear very often if at all, and when people listen to it, I want them to feel the same pleasure listening to my music as one would enjoy a piece of candy. I know I do. 

5. I know with your old band Elctrikchair, you where originaaly from Colorado then relocated to Kansas, what was the decision behind the move and how would you compare the music scene in both states?

Well, I joined Elctrikchair in 2009, shortly after they had already moved to Kansas. They relocated here, as it was a central location to tour. I have played several shows in Colorado when I was the bass player for them, and it seems Colorado has a more appreciative metal scene, while Kansas is kind of picky about their styles. I loved playing in both places though and I've met great people everywhere I've toured. 

6. Currently you are signed to Dod Incarnate records, how did you get in contact with this label and how would you describe the support that they have given you so far?

I met Stefan (Dethcentrik, Dod Beverte, owner of Dod Incarnate) new years eve 2009, in Colorado Springs at an Elctrikchair CD signing at a cd store I honestly forget the name of... He and Bob (drummer of Elctrikchair) were friends back when Elctrikchair lived in Colorado, so he was automatically considered a friend by association. Shortly after leaving Elctrikchair, I get a phone call from Stefan, telling me to keep in touch and whatnot... So some time passes, and I start recording "The Truth" and he brings up that he can market my material and help me "rise up from the ashes" as they say. He's been a great help so far, and I look forward to working with him a lot more in the future.

7. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of underground music?

Well, up until recently, I was just doing Rare Candy for the sake of writing music, and never originally intended on it being released other to a few close friends. So there is not too much to report on that just yet, but let's hope the future brings back good reviews!

8. Do you have any current projects going on besides this one?

Not really, I have been offered to play in several local bands here in Topeka, but I honestly like just doing my own thing now, leaving Elctrikchair left a sour taste about joining other bands.

9. What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?

It's too soon to tell now, but I'd like to hope that I get better at audio production and get better equipment to record vocals, as that would probably be the most logical step forward in future releases.

10. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

I listen to a lot of black metal, Viking metal, death metal, you name it, I've got it... Probably the most inspiration that shows in my music comes from Arsis, Arch Enemy, and The Browning as they all feature technical, melodic, and electronic aspects respectively. I have been getting in to some dubstep lately though, so maybe some of that in there too!

11. Outside of music what are some of your interests?

I am a Pokemon maniac, I always have been since 1998, and I don't see any sign of slowing down any time soon. It's always been there when I'm on a long road trip (touring) and I'm bored as hell, or even when life wasn't so great, and I turned to Pokemon for that escape to an alternative reality. I play the card game competitively, I own every single episode of the anime up to date, and I know almost everything about the video games. Sure, I'm addicted to Pokemon... I guess it's better than hard drugs, right?

12.Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?

Yeah, to all metalheads out there who are closet nerds, you aren't alone. Embrace your interests, regardless of what society thinks! Also, big thanks to Stefan for making this release possible, you've been a tremendous help and I couldn't have done it without you man! Thank you for this interview, it's definitely been a pleasure!

https://www.facebook.com/RareCandyVGMBand/

No comments:

Post a Comment