Sunday, December 23, 2012

Sermo III And Cult 45 Interview


1. Can you tell us a little bit about the project for those that have never heard of you before?


I started Sermo III back in 2008/2009, while still in Disiplin and Werwolf Ensemble, as an outlet for music that didn't fit into either of those bands. I recorded "Order of Dagon", the first album) in the winter of 08/09, but didn't release it. A friend of mine suggested I make music for studying Lovecraft to, so in 2010 I recorded an album called "Easy Listening for Great Old Ones", released in handmade covers, limited to 11 copies. Part two of that series was released in 2011, limited to 20 copies. These records were all firmly rooted in dark ambient. 2011 also saw the relase of "Tetranagrammaton (A Triptych of Emotion)", which departed a fair bit from the ambient sound, moving more into experimental territory. And now, we have "Sex Yeast", which is vastly different from that again.





2. How would you describe your musical sound?

I have, in part jest, called it doom pop. It's gritty industrial/ambient music with hints of pop music.





3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?

"Sex Yeast" is the first album that actually contains any vocals at all (my cat did vocals on a track on "Easy Listening for Great Old Ones Part 1", but she doesn't know any words). I started out creating Sex Yeast as a celebration of Weird™, but I had a rather rough autumn, so the lyrics explores depression, heartbreak, insanity, paranoia and fear.





4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the projects name?

I stole Sermo III from C. G. Jung's Seven Sermons to the Dead. Sermo II is where Jung starts to talk about Abraxas.

Cult .45 is just a cool sounding name, and is where all will be listed as members.





5. Has the band done any live shows or is this strictly a studio project?

I have played live once, at Støy På Landet, in July 2012. I created the music especially for the gig. It ended up as a quite weird Power Electronics thing called "Nyarlathotep is Why Mommy Drinks!"





6. Currently the project is solo, have you thought about working with other musicians or do you choose to remain solo?

I will probably remain a solo act, with multiple guests.

Sex yeast saw three different singers in addition to myself, which was fun.





7. Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label and if so what kind of label do you feel that would be a perfect fit for your music?

I'm not actively looking for a label, as I want complete and utter control of my music and everything around it.

8. Are there any other musical projects besides this one?

There's currently only one project, Earl Grey Ho Day (facebook.com/earlgreyhoday), which is filthy chap hop featuring myself and Rory (who also sang on the tracks "A Broken Smile" and "Shards" on "Sex Yeast")





9. What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?

To be honest, I have no idea. I have a few ideas running wild in my head, but nothing is written in stone. For all I know, it'l end up as an acoustic ukulele album.





10. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

Lustmord, NON, K100, Ah-Cama-Sotz and Akira Yamaoka (Silent Hill soundtrack composer) are the most direct influences on my music.

However, my favourite band is Iron Maiden, next to Amanda Palmer, who in many many ways have influenced me more than any other artists the last decade. Nowadays I listen to mostly Ordo Rosarius Equilibrio, Bruce Dickinson, TWZ, pre-Roots era Sepultura, Shining (SE), Allan Edwall and Amanda Palmer/Dresden Dolls.





11. Does Occultism play any role in your music?

Indirectly, perhaps. I have had an avid interest in occultism for many, many years, and I have subconsciously borrowed a lot of symbolism from various groups and traditions throughout the years.





12.Outside of music what are some of your interests?

I am a compulsive reader, and I try to write (usually failing spectacularly at producing anything). I'm also a photographer, and I work for a concert venue near me as a photographer and social media marketer. Also Tiki Drinks!





13. Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?

Thanks for the interview, it's been fun!

Watch out for live gigs in 2013, and most importantly:

UP YOUR R'LYEH!

https://sermoiii.bandcamp.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment