Monday, June 17, 2013

Sisilisko Interview


/Albin, Sisilisko
1. Can you tell us a little about the band for those that have never heard of you before?
It started off as a solo project a couple of years ago. It was something that I then felt that I had to do. It was something that was as important to me as life itself in a way. And it has grown even bigger with time. About a year ago I felt that it was too big to handle myself, so I picked up Peter along the way. Now we are two equally parts of the lizard-organism.

2. How would you describe your musical sound?
Doom folk. Dark, grim, and beautiful.

3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?
I think we both feel that our western society lacks the conversation about death and about spiritual beliefs. Sweden is a secular country, and that is a really good thing! But a consequence of that is that we never talk about death, the fear of death and how to cope with death. I guess I want to fill that hole with my lyrics. Let's talk about death, and let's talk about spirituality, but not in a religious way though! Peter is a nurse, so he meets death in his profession as well.

4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the bands name?
It comes from a finnish expression – Liskojen yö (night of the lizards in english). The night after a hangover you may experience delusions, strange dreams and fucked up hallucinations. That is a lizard night! I've experienced those nights a lot. Not that I drink booze all the time, but when I do I buy myself a ticket to the lizard-land.

5. Has the band played live or is this strictly a studio project?
We've played live once on a birthday party in Stockholm. It was a really strange night. We weren't that good. The worst part was probably the sound. It was really bad, and I don't think our music suits a birthday bash.

6. Currently there are only 2 members in the band, are you planning on expanding the line up in the future or do you choose to remain a duo.
We will probably stay a duo. I think we have grown into our creative process, and I think it would be hard to let anyone else in. But we will always work with our drummer Jakob Enlund. He is an amazing musician! At the moment we're putting together a live band, and we have a pretty good idea about what musicians we want to work with!

7. Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or received any interest?
It would be awesome if someone would pick us up. The DIY-thing is fucking awful sometimes! It takes time and space from the creative work, so yeah, we are looking for a label, but no we haven't heard anything from anyone.

8. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your recording by fans of underground music?
A couple of blogs has posted our music and written a few words about us, but not that much. We are still trying to reach out to people that may like us.

9. Are there any other musical projects besides this band or is this a full time line up?
This is full time. But we've been playing in bands since we learned to walk, so time will tell what will happen in the future.

10. What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
I think we will dig deeper. We have written songs that has a lot more meaning to us, both with the lyrics and the music, since the release. We will try to make time during the summer to record a couple of more songs. And they will be even better!

11.What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
I'm listening to a lot of metal these days, but I'm not a metal head from the beginning. I like a lot of different music, and I try to stay open minded. I don't want to miss out on anything. But I guess that without Chelsea Wolfe, Wolves in the throne room, Uaral, Darkthrone, Watain, Neil Young and Nick Cave, Sisilisko never would have been born.

12.Outside of music what are some of your interests?
I'm a journalist. Music and journalism is my life. 

13. Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
If you want to know more about Sisilisko – read the swedish author (and Nobel laureate) Pär Lagerkvist. A lot of inspiration comes from his books. And stay tuned – we will be back!

https://www.facebook.com/sisiliskonights/

No comments:

Post a Comment