Friday, January 17, 2014

Erang Interview


1.Can you give us an update on what is going on with the musical project these days?

Well, Erang is a part of my life and I’m still pretty active with it :  I’m going to release a new album “ Casting The Ancient Spell Again “ on http://erang.bandcamp.com Furthermore, some splits will probably come as well during February.

2.You have a new album coming out, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical direction it has taken and also how does it differ from your previous recordings?
I guess it still has the “Erang sound” to say so, but with some surprises and sometimes new sounds... I sing on one track, for instance. With each new album I try to incorporate few news elements. Not necessary a lot but I find that if you listen from “ Tome I “ to “Another World, Another Time”, you’ll find an evolution.

3.You have put out a lot of releases in the last couple of years, would you say that music takes up a lot of your time?
Yes, indeed.

4.What are some of the themes and concepts you have explored with your music over the years?
Mainly nostalgia and escapism.

5.You put out an ep a few months back based on the works of J.R.R Tolkien can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in this author?
My father use to tell me stories from Bilbo to put me to bed so the world of Tolkien has always been very familiar to me.

6.Can you tell us a little bit more about the concept behind the name 'Erang'?
Erang is truly a part of me, a part of my past and my personal history.

7.So far you have worked all solo, are you interested in working with other musicians in the future?
I’ve already done a collaboration with Lord Lovidicus which was really fun (we covered each other songs) and you could listen to it here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo6kOtnUlc4
I’ve also done a 3 ways split with Drom and Stella Borealis :http://dromstellaborealiserang.bandcamp.com/
Erang will always be solo, it is to personal to share it with anybody. But I’m always open to splits if I like the music of the other band.

8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of dungeon synth?
I’m very touched by emails or message that sometimes people send to me saying how much they feel connected to my music. This is really important to me : having the feedback of people and knowing that, far from my home, an unknow person is enjoying my music and feel connected to my world.

9.What are some bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
Mortiis / Vond, Burzum (the ambient ones) and I like very much Lord Lovidicus.

10.Does Paganism play any role in the music?
On my fourth album, the name of the last track is “Within The Land Of My Imagination I Am The Only God “… This sum up everything.

11.Do you have any non musical interests?
I like drawings and photo manipulation, and that’s why I do all my artworks. It is really part of the fun and of the whole “Erang experience”.

12.Before we wrap up this interview do you have any final words or thoughts?
I cant thanks enough all the people who support me here and there : I don’t do music to please people, I do the music that I want to hear, for myself… but when someone loves it, this is the best feeling ever ! So I thank you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment