Sunday, June 8, 2014

Servants Of The Mist Interview



1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the band?...We are a 6 piece from Tampa Fl. We play music that is a direct representation of our soul. Doom and Sludge is often how we are categorized. We have existed in some form since 2010.

2.So far the band has released 2 ep's, how would you describe the musical sound that is present on both of the recordings and also how do they differ from each other?....The Daydreamer ep was the the start of our decline into mental illness. We began down tuning our guitars more. The subject matter became darker. The Daydreamer ep had more samples. Suicide Sex Pact was the culmination of our descent into madness. The riffs were heavier and the subject matter much more sadistic.

3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?.....We explore rape, sexual torture, Self loathing, murder, suicide and addiction.

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Servants Of the Mist'?....It was a lyric in a song in one of our earliest demos. I think our name represents enslavement. A hostage to our darker urges and desires. Forced to exist in an ugly world. You either embrace it or let it slaughter you. We choose to embrace excess.

5.What are some of the best shows that the band has played over the years and also how would you describe your stage performance?...It is hard to determine our impact on our audience. It challenges the average metal fan. We have had many average metal fans walk away from us. I think if you exist in our world then the music will make perfect sense. We played with The Tardy brothers of Obituary fame. We opened for Danzig. Those shows were exciting because the attendance  was large and it exposed us to more people. I think of my stage performance to be a way to travel to a dark spirit world. I can exorcize my demons and allow them to create suffering and mayhem within the audience. There is nothing I won't do emotionally or physically while in touch with my demons on the stage.

6.Do you have any touring or show plans for the future?... We have a show with New Orleans sludge legends Eyehategod. We will tour the east coast of the U.S. this August. We would love to come to Europe.

7.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?...I don't know what place labels have in the music business anymore. I would love to be on Southern Lord or Metal Blade. Record labels that have some capital. I'm not holding my breath
We haven't received any interest and I don't expect any.

8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of funeral, doom metal and sludge?....I don't  really know. I know Suicide Sex Pact was received well in its limited release. I'm hoping we can increase our exposure. That more people can hear us. I think we could greatly increase our fan base.

9.When can we expect a full length album and also where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?......I like to constantly release new music. One to four songs at a time. A full length would take too much time. We can't afford to not produce anything in a year while writing a full length. The world doesn't care and they quickly forget who you are. So we try to keep them interested a few songs at a time. Our musical direction in the future will solely be where I'm at emotionally. I live in a terrible place and my music reflects that. I'm afraid that my music must take a more positive direction or I will simply commit suicide.

10. What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?....The Melvins, Eyehategod, Cough, Electric Wizard and Burning Witch to name a few. I have been listening to Fleetwood mac, Acid King, Pretenders, Christopher Cross and Reo Speedwagon lately. It removes me from my world and puts me in a world where I want to be. Sometimes I just want to feel ok.

11.What are some of your non musical interests?..Suicide, meaningless unprotected sex, drugs, fear, tears,  and over thinking.

12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?...Only that instinct will always surpass logic. Pain is not a badge of honor. It is only a scar. Morality will attempt to destroy your right to indulge. People will hurt you, lie to you. They indulge themselves without thinking of who it effects. You need to do the same. Fuck, eat, drink, get high, buy a gun and serve yourself. The dream is dead and Servants is what's left hiding underneath a rock......Thank you
Ed Tobar..lead guitar, founder and father of Servants
Servantsofthemist.bandcamp
Servantsofthemist.facebook
Servantsofthemist.reverbnation
Www

No comments:

Post a Comment