Monday, September 14, 2015

Philanthrofaeces Interview


1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?
First of all, thank you indeed for your time. I’ve always wanted to create music on my own, but up to a few years ago, all I could play was a bit of drums. So I got a guitar, gave it a go and I guess philanthrofaeces started as soon as I was able to put the two instruments together.




2.How would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recordings?
I’m not quite sure, to be honest. I try to do something heavy, dirty, sometimes fast, sometimes very slow, I think philanthrofaeces is  mainly black, death, grind, doom/sludge or something like  that, probably nothing too original, but I am not really trying to be this, that or the other, I just enjoy making and playing heavy and dirty music.





3.In 2015 you have released 4 recordings so far, do you put a lot of time and effort into writing and creating music?
All songs are improvised, some of them would take me about 5 to 10 minutes to create and record. I work nights in an industrial freezer in a warehouse, so I don’t have loads of time and strength to play as much as I’d like to. On top of that, my neighbours are not very pleased with the racket, so I try to do my best with the time I have. I play a bit every day, and when I think some idea or riff is worth a recording, I normally end up with a new song. 




4.What are some of the themes and concepts you bring into your musical style?
I played in grindcore bands before, and to be honest, in spite of following a certain life style, being myself kind of a punkish vegetarian stoner, I think that telling people what is right and wrong and how to live their lives can be quite annoying, so I just use the song titles to spread a bit of my ideas. I have decided to not write any lyrics for philanthrofaeces, and this is now how the project works.



5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Philanthrofaeces'?
I just have this idea that we are this horribly selfish species, and that nothing that we do is really altruistic, so it has to do with “philanthropy is bullshit” or something like that.










6.With this project you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with any other musicians with this projector do you prefer to remain solo?
I don’t exclude any possibility at all, but for the time being, I can’t really see anyone being interested in the kind of music  I come up with. Moreover, it’s handy to be absolutely free to do whatever I want with this “music”. I think it makes philanthrofaeces what it is, although I’m quite sure that other brain (s) would add something great to the mix. I’m just not quite sure whether I’d be able to continue calling it philanthrofaeces or not.



7.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?
I would really enjoy having something out there. Although I’ve a few splits on the way, I actually do not have any physical material yet. Not that I really look into it as I should, I mean, I haven’t sent anything to any label yet, but I’d be delighted to have a cd or something. I have this plan that, once I feel like philanthrofaeces has cohesive songs enough and no interest of any label, I’ll put a cd out myself and maybe start my own label.



8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of underground metal?
All I know is the response I get from facebook people who, like yourself, listen to my posts. There is some response from America, Europe, Asia, maybe just a couple from each of these continents, of course nothing much. If people like any post I add them as friends so that I can share my following recordings, once, after all, I only have a facebook account to be able to show philanthrofaeces to someone else but my poor ear-raped wife. 



9.Are you also involved with any other bands or musical projects these days?
I currently play the guitar on Cephalophore, which is a noise project of Ben Durham, an american fella I’ve met on facebook who invited me to do so. He sends me the drum machine tracks and I send the guitar back. It’s as simple as that.



10.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician in the future?
All I want to do is keep composing. It would be great if some people enjoyed what I am doing, but I am kind of a selfish bastard (typical human), so I’ll keep playing as long as I am happy with philanthrofaeces. I am looking forward to having some material though.



11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
Well, mainly death metal, grindcore, black metal and some newer sludge stuff. Some of my favorite bands are Macabre, Disharmonic Orchestra, Napalm Death, Yob, Black Sabbath and so on. I don’t listen to much music lately, but death metal, classic metal, grindcore and black metal are always the choice, apart from a bit of the 80’s pop/rock and some rare new age and early music.



12.What are some of your non musical interests?
Weed, beer, pizza, painting, walking my dogs and watching movies. That’s pretty much it. I haven’t painted for a while though.



13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
Sure, first of all thanks again for all your interest and support, you are one of the very few people who must have got anything out of my music, and I really appreciate it. And I hope to be contacting you in the near future to throw in some philanthrofaeces stuff. I’ve a few recordings to come out in the next few days as well, and that’s about it. I’ve absolutely no plans to stop. Let’s keep the flame of annoying music  alive!

https://philanthrofaeces.bandcamp.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment