Monday, October 24, 2016

Doomcult Interview


1.Can you give us an update on what is going on with the band these days?

At the moment I’m recording music for the second album. Seven new songs of doom-worship \\m//. Hopefully, the new album can be released somewhere this winter.

2.Recently you have released a new album, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording?

Doomcult is a doom band. I think you nailed it quite well in the review of the album. It’s a mixture of traditional doom, atmospheric doom and there’s some funeral stuff. It was the Peaceville three (Anathema, Paradise Lost and My Dying Bride) that raised my interest in doom back in the 90’s and I like to think of their early material as being quite influential.

3.I have also read that you have played other styles of metal before forming a doom metal band, what are some of the metal styles you have worked with in the past?

I would call it plain metal. A bit thrash, a bit stoner, a bit of everything. For those interested, we were named Bulldozer Breed.

4.The lyrics on the recording have a concept to them, can you tell us a little bit more about the song writing?

Well, uh, the concept is that we’re all going to die and there is nothing that we can do. Is that doomy enough? hahaha.
Basically, it’s a story of  a conspiracy. It’s a representation of the way that I look at the world. If you look at the amount of money that is being made in the weapon industry, then you start to realixe that some people are making huge profits on war. These people do not want world peace. They want fear. They want hate. They want a new cold war. And they have enough money to be influential... 
So from this scenario, I started writing about those people who buy power and who want to control our minds.

5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Doomcult'?

It’s a cool name and it fits the music and the lyrics.

6.Originally this band started out as a solo project but you have expressed interest in forming a full band, has this worked out yet and have you been able to find the right members?

Doomcult is still a solo project. I first want to finish the second album. From there, I’ll think of how to continue. If needed, my old band mates from Bulldozer Breed agreed to participate for live performances. 

7.Are you planning on doing any live shows with this band?

It would be really great to do some live shows. Hopefully, there will be some opportunities in the future.

8.The album was released on 'Morbid Syndicate', are you happy with the support they have given you so far?

It’s great that Morbid Syndicate showed interest in Doomcult and that they released the album. Of course, some more PR would be helpful, but still, they helped me out quite well.

9.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of doom metal?

The music that ended up on the album ‘End All Life’ had been haunting my brains for years, but since I was always occupied with bands with other styles, there was never an opportunity to do anything with that music. Eventually, I decided to record the songs by myself. When I finished the album and launched Doomcult, it felt awesome to share my ideas with the scene and to express my interest in dark and doomish music. Signing a deal and talking to metal webzines, it has all been more than I hoped for. Many hails to you hatredmeanswarzine for showing your interest for the underground!
Anyway, to answer you question : so far, reviews have been really positive, moreover Doomcult appeared on compilations in Portugal, France and Canada. The hardest part of course is to reach the right people: doomheads interested in plasphemous doom. There are so many great bands and they all want your attention.

10.Where do you see this band heading into musically during the future?

I’m satisfied with the musical style of Doomcult. I’ll stick to the conspiracy / anti-religion lyrics as well. So these aspects will stay. As mentioned, I’m working on the second album. I think that there is maybe some more influence from DSBM music. Furthermore, the slow songs might be even more slow than they were on ‘End All Life’.

11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

I only listen to Manowar. Period.
Okay, and to old Anathema, Paradise Lost and My Dying Bride… and Urfaust… and Ggu:ll… and Worship… and Reverend Bizarre. And a lot more. Also, I’m very curious to hear the new 40 Watt Sun.

12.Does Satanism or Occultism play any role in your music?

I’m an atheist. I do not believe in some bearded guy that lives in the sky, nor do I believe in a goatlord living underneath my feet. Satanism and occultism do play an important role in my lyrics, since they provide for the right atmosphere and imagery. In think ‘welcome to God’s cremation’ sounds a lot better than ‘welcome to the era where all that you value as beautiful and nice is absent’.

13.What are some of your non musical interests?

Reading about music. I just finished ‘Louder that Hell’. I had some good laughs…

14.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
Thanks for giving me the opportunity to introduce Doomcult! To all people reading this: if you’re into doom or other slow paced metal, check out Doomcult. If you like what you hear, give me a thumps up. For now, rock on!

Bandcamp
Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment