Monday, June 28, 2021

Quarantine Interview

 

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?




Quarantine is a solo project that I embarked upon during the horrific global


Pandemic. I needed a creative outlet while the world ground to a halt. I was aiming to create  the least musical music that I could possibly muster while still maintaining dynamics and structure to keep things intriguing to the listener. 


 


2.You have a new album coming out in July, musically how does it differ from your previous release?




The previous album was very much an idea of a sound that I was experimenting with. The songs were much longer and developed quite organically. This new album is very much a refinement of this sound that pushes the aggression into new realms. It’s much more acerbic. It’s fucking horrible. 




3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you have explored so far with the music?




Lyrically themes range from the inner turmoil that one experiences from being trapped in an uncontrollable scenario to the external hypocrisy of a world that controls events. Kind of ‘Self VS System.’ There’s so much distortion and reverb going on with the vocals they are mostly reduced to unintelligible expulsions of rage...just the way I like it.




4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Quarantine'?




The name ‘Quarantine’ relates directly to the pandemic while also reflecting the personal feeling of being mentally isolated from the world. It is both a mental state of being and a physical enforcement that people experienced worldwide.




5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the album cover?




I came across an incredible artist known as ‘Deedless Art’ on Instagram. I knew immediately his style was perfect for my sound so I contacted him and he came up with the concept of the art almost instantaneously. He used a London tube scene, layered with distorted imagery. If you listen to the final track ‘Chronic Suffering’ there is a heavily distorted soundscape of a London Underground train amidst all the aural chaos. He was the direct inspiration for this. An absolute pleasure to work with. 




6.With this project you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to work solo?




I love collaborating with other musicians! My other band ‘Existence Dysphoria’ is my main musical project and we are hoping to enter the studio in September to record our next EP. That being said I enjoy working alone...only child syndrome haha!




7.The new album is going to be released on 'Trepanation Recordings', how did you get in contact with this label?




Dan from Trepanation Recordings is fantastic guy!  One of the hardest working dudes in the scene today and a genuinely pleasant human being. I responded to an Instagram invitation in which he stated that he wanted to master some tracks to keep himself occupied during lockdown. To my delight he said he really loved what I was doing and wanted to unleash it into the world! He’s been a great source of inspiration and support throughout the process. Can’t thank him enough!




8.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of industrial, harsh noise and doom metal?




The response has been very positive so far. It’s not easy music to listen to but those who have been brave enough to endure it have appreciated what I’m trying to do. It means the world to me that someone else would like what I created. Thank you all!




9.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?




I’ve always been a firm advocate in pushing the boundaries of music. I have my influences but never want to rehash old ideas. I absolutely plan on exploring new depths of sonic depravity and if people are into that then that’s just a huge bonus. 




10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?




So many bands have influenced me down the line. It really starts with my parents getting me into folk and rock music as a kid. I love music that thinks outside of the box and challenges the listener in some way. I’m a huge fan of Electric Wizard, Ufomammut, Mastiff, Sleep, Oxbow, SOAD, RATM, Autopsy, Annal Nathrakh and HALO to name a few. Nobody talks about, Australian band, HALO but they were light years ahead of their time and still don’t get the recognition they deserve. Check out ‘Body of Light’ and get your head blown out of your arse! 




11.What are some of your non musical interests?




Heavy weights and heavy music keep me sane! I got into lifting to help me out of a particularly bleak period of my life and have never looked back. It’s an essential part of venting my aggression and is one of the main reasons I’m still around today. I’m also a massive mid-to-late 90’s wrestling nerd. I find the industry fascinating. 




12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?




I would like to thank you here at this blog for taking the time to listen to my music and talk to me. To the rest of you I implore you to be kind to those around you who deserve it and be considerate of one another. It really makes a difference to the world. 


Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/quarantinenoise/



No comments:

Post a Comment