Tuesday, February 15, 2022

Kirril Interview



 1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit more about yourself and your musical project?



It's a mix of different influences, most of it would probably be best described as industrial. I gravitate a lot towards industrial, distorted, psychedelic and weird music. It is a large part of what I do.

I don't tend to stick to one genre though, I switch from project to project: I need to keep on doing things that are new for me.



2.In the last few years you have also released a great amount of material, how would you describe your musical progress over the years?


Things are a bit less lo-fi then they used to be, and I am also constantly pushing to keep making things darker, weirder. In the beginning things were very focussed on the dance floor on mostly illegal parties, after that I started studying music for 5 years and things got a bit more complex and more and more my own thing over the years.


The influences of the parties of the early days have begun to creep in again lately, combining it with the sound / body of work I have developed so far.



3.You also have a background with illegal parties and living in squats, what impact does this have on the musical style that you play?



The atmosphere of those surroundings and the way of life that comes with it influenced the sound of my music a lot and still often does.



In the very early years, uncertainty of how long we had electricity and could stay somewhere also made me learn how to make things fast and be perfectionistic about the right things and make sure it worked because it would be hard to change later.

I made a lot of quite minimalist tracks and loops, but making sure every sound worked and was the best I could make it. Then making larger collage type things out of those tracks in livesets.

Us throwing regular parties meant I could check well if something worked in large halls and such,/ got a reaction out of a crowd very early and consistently. That time learned me a lot overall



4.A lot of your song themes are inspired by dystopian topics and turbulent nightlife, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in these topics?



It's what I see around me, it connects to how we live.



5.In the last few years you also have released a great amount of material, do you spend a great amount of your time writing and creating music?



Yes, I have worked at it almost every day for the past 17 years. That could be for just an hour or entire days.



6.With this project you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to work solo?



I work a lot on my own, but also have put out different collaborations over the years. From one on one collaborations to me leading small teams of different diverse artists.

The last three years were more solo work, but I would like to collaborate more in the future again and have been taking some steps towards that lately. trying some things with different people.



7.What are some of the best shows that you have played so far and also how would you describe your stage performance?



I have done different kinds of performances over the years. From illegal party´s in dark hallways and basements, to commercial clubs to brightly lit art gallery type environments. Sometimes with a laptop and some midi gear,everything tightly controlled and prepared. Sometimes also with just hardware, modular synths, drumcomputers and cheap guitar pedals and such, more freeform. Lately I have been moving more into combining those two different approaches.


I stil feel more comfortable in dark rooms/ larger halls where I can project large visuals, so that the focus is more on the music and the visual art than on me.



8.What are some of the record labels have you worked with on the releases so far?


In October I put out a self-titled cassette album on Tartarus Records, A Dutch metal label that has been getting more and more into releasing industrial stuff lately. On the 7th of January my Album Nocturnal was released on Revok Records, an industrial techno label based in London and Tokyo.


Most of my work before that was self released and promoted, in 2012 the American darkpsy label Anomalistic Records spread my EP Hardwired quite a bit, which was cool.



9.On a worldwide level, how has the reaction been to your music by fans of industrial, noise and other underground forms of music?



It's hard to tell sometimes this year because so much is just online, and so many events having stopped with the pandemic and all.


I´ve read some great reactions online though.


There's been some good responses in the industrial techno scene.

I was quite surprised to find my release on several release of the week lists of some notable metal blogs/ podcasts. That felt great. My music is far from metal but I do feel a connection to it/ attracted to it, especially to the really dark stuff. It´s a great scene.


It would be great to do some crossover stuff with some metal artists some day.



10.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?



Things are going to get darker. And a lot of it more danceable, I am tired of that not being possible (at events), I miss it, it's been enough.


I also have some more slow noise/ industrial projects coming up though that are going to get very dark and weird.


I have a lot of new releases coming up, experimenting in how I can expand my body of work.


I am also working on developing more of a visual world around my music, making that a part of my live performances.




11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?



I am listening an awful lot to The Weeknd to be honest, which a lot of people probably wouldn't expect. I like the world he created around his music. Also a lot of Lil Durk lately (not kiddin here)

On the other side of the spectrum I have been into more extreme noise/ experimental music like Prurient, Nurse With Wound and I´ve been listening to some stuff from the Deathbed Tapes label lately. There's some really great noise on there.

I listen to and am inspired by a quite wide spectrum of music. I like different ways of creating worlds with audio, either with or without vocalists.

I like it when underground and mainstream influences overlap and something special comes out of that. Artists that really develop their own thing.



12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?


Not really at the moment, I think I said most of what I could think of now.

Kirril Bandcamp
Kirril Soundcloud
Kirril Instagram
Kirril Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment