Saturday, April 23, 2022

Sarram Interview

 

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the solo project? 

It’s all about music, feel free to listen and discover at sarram.bandcamp.commeanwhile you’re reading this interview! 

2.With this project you have put out 5 releases, musically how do they differ from each other? 

My idea has always been to develop the projectslowly, enjoying my personal sonic trip, adding new sounds step by step – record by record. “A Bolu, in C” was entirely played with a guitar and some fx; in “Four Movements of a Shade” I’ve recorded also some synths, in “Albero” there are also some acoustic instruments, “Silenzio”was entirely made with spoken words, open circuits, tape loop, fx and synths with just little guitar, “ACME#1” is a collaboration full of tape loops, bass, fx and synths. The point is that basically I just search for sounds that I like and that satisfy my musical ideas in that particular moment or period, to underline that particular time, to don’t forget. 

3.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'S A R R A M'?

 S A R R A M is my surname reversed, nothing special or too much researched and really doesn’t want to be a kind of a clever thing or a glimpse of lighting ‘cause really it isn’t. From my point of view it have to be Me in some ways but written with spaces and caps lock. 

4.With this project you record everything by yourself but have experience working with full line up's in bands, how would you compare the two?

 S A R R A M represents my musical view, my time; what I can develop, cut or ignore is exclusive about my tastes, thoughts and needs. When you play in a band or you’re making collaborations with other people everything have to be shared, discussed, analyzed and overthink. I love both ways of making music but we are speaking about two really different realities - which cannot be compared at all. 

5.You also work with a variety of many different musical styles, do you feel this makes you a better musician?

 No, I don’t, I’ve never think in that way. I play what I play always thinking about what I would listen with pleasure during a foggy and rainy day, drinking a nice glass of wine. I just try to do the best that I can, that’s it.

 6.The last full length was released on 'Subsound Records', can you tell us a little bit more about this label?

 Subsound Records is basically one of the best record label out there for the extreme music (of any kind). They’re active from 15years, releasing some of the most exciting acts from all over the world without giving a f*** about the hype. They’re true heroes of our time and I felt myself truly blessed since the first time that I got in touch with them. 

7.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of dark ambient and drone?

 The reality is that, even my expectations were as always low, I’ve seen lot of new people interested to S A R R A M since “Albero” came out; the last record sold very fast and I got more proposals to make shows around but this is entirely based on what I can see/read with my laptop, everything will be more clear when I’ll be able to touring again- which matter definitely more. 

8.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future? 

Hard question, definitely, which I cannot answer at all – I have something in mind but needs time. What I can say is that I have started to touring again and after some super nice shows in Holland in the beginning of April I’ll be performing soon in Czech Republic, Slovakia, Austria, North Italy, Germany and Belgium – Dunk! Festival included! 

9.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

 I never discover the music thinking about styles or genres, if something comes up with a nice vibe, a urgency that I can feel or just sounds/riffs that I enjoy I go deeper; It can be hip hop or black metal, whatever it is, really doesn’t matter what – matter if I can feel it. Anyway nowadays I’m listening to Norna, Matt Elliott, Whitehorse and Sons of Kemet; I don’t know what do they have in common but, well, I enjoy! 

10.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts? 

Thank you for your interest, keep up the good work dude

https://www.facebook.com/sarramproject/
https://www.instagram.com/valosarram/
https://sarram.bandcamp.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment