Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Comatose Vigil A.K Interview

1.Can you give us an update on what has been going on with the band since the recording of the new album?
Well, we’ve returned to our usual life after the recording. We all have jobs, families, other projects, lots of things to do. But we apparently save our strength for future activities.

2.You have a new album coming out in December, musically how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past?
I’d say it has no fundamental distinctions from our previous works. We wanted to make it as recognizable as early Comatose Vigil used to be. Musically it reminds our debut album but the songs are structured a bit more complicatedly. However, you can hear echoes from both early and later periods there.  I think this album sums up our previous releases. We also chose very heavy and low guitar tune that makes our music sound rougher than before. 

3.The band has split up a couple of times, what was the cause of the splits and also the decision to reform?
We had uneasy relationships between us. We all wanted to make music but couldn’t make it together for some reasons. We had different views of our future stuff, I guess. That classical line-up became entirely incapable, unfortunately.  New ideas seemed to be tedious and impersonal. We were wasting time disputing and drinking alcohol. One day that inner discord completely stopped the progress and it couldn’t be sustained anymore. We disbanded but then gathered to try again, without Zigr though. It looked pity, honestly. It made no sense to prolong that agony, and we disbanded again finally. The only thing I'm happy with is that we haven’t released the shit we composed at that time.
I understood we couldn’t record anything new by that line-up, but I believed we could do this by another one. Everything changed when I found David, famous in Georgian band Ennui. We have been long known each other. But that time I found him as a new composer of new comatose stuff. I decided to take a chance and try once again. And damn, it worked! He sent me his first samples and I had to admit they sounded like real Comatose Vigil. There wasn’t a shadow of doubt that we had to record this album.

4.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the newer music?
I’d like to observe that all lyrics were written in Russian in spite of their titles. Every song of this album allows you to gaze into a sort of “fictive reality”.  This is my subjective observation not applying for the truth, of course. “Evangelium Nihil” discloses how religion distorts present reality and creates fictive one instead. It also depicts the following disappointment and regret. ”Comatose Vigil” shows an invented world of coma, where the protagonist wanders self-reflecting. Confusion, uncertainty, a state of gloom and oppression... “Deus Sterilis” is about a civilization which considered itself god. It shows the whole humanity as an insane god. He commits suicide in a fit of anger but the Universe stays blind to such an unimportant event. It allegorizes our civilization and its probable end. I’m afraid that this scenario’s gonna come true soon. “The Day Heaven Fell” is a sequel of “The Day Heaven Wept”, presented on “Fuimus, non Sumus...”.  You may plunge into a world of personal mental disease, that I described in this dilogy. It can be also interpreted as a fictive reality.

5.Originally the band was known as 'Subhuman Abstract', what was the cause of the name change?
Our first name wasn’t well thought-out. I’d say we picked it out of the air. We definitely weren’t happy with that. We chose Comatose Vigil because it seemed to reflect the very essence of our art. It sounds like an existential paradox.

6.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover?
This album has two covers by the way. We placed the ancient christogram Chi Rho to digipak (read Wikipedia to learn more as needed). Some versions of this symbol include Alpha and Omega on their two sides, that define Jesus as the beginning and the end of everything. The difference is that our Chi Rho has two Omegas. I think there’s no need to explain the “hidden message”. The booklet picture shows a charred bible laying on the ground as a symbol of its own futility.

7.With the new line up all of the band members live in different parts of the world, can you tell us a little bit more about it?
As it turned out I couldn’t find local accomplices, so I found them abroad. David is the only man I know, who completely understands how it has to work. I see no problem that he’s from Georgia. It’s pretty possible even to play gigs together, I think. John joined us right before recording the album because that time I had some troubles with the studio and couldn’t work on drums. He did it much better than I could and joined the line-up as a regular member. John is known in American doom-death band Mesmur and a few other bands.

8.What have been some of the best shows that the band has played over the years?
The best one was Moscow Doom Festival pt. 3 in 2008, indeed. That year we shared the scene with such giants as Esoteric and Worship, and that was amazing. I’d also like to highlight our double set in Moscow and Saint Petersburg with Shape of Despair in January, 2015.

9.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of funeral doom metal?
There was pretty positive reaction as far as I can judge. We got a lot of laudatory reviews.

10.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?
It’s hard to tell for now. I only can assure you that we’re gonna stay the same Comatose Vigil that you used to know.

11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
As I don’t compose music, I can’t answer the first part of your question. I’m responsible for lyrics only. Death and Black metal are always my favourite. But I also have other genres in my playlist, such as Sludge, Post-metal, Industrial, EBM, Dark Electro, Synth-pop and many others. The choice depends on my mood.

12.What are some of your non musical interests?
I like traveling, riding bicycle, playing hockey, cooking yummies with my family and many other simple things that all average people like. Unfortunately, I can’t get enough time and money recently to do all I want. Reality often changes my plans.

13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
I’d like to thank all who believe in us and support us in our new beginning. Thank you, guys and see you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment