Friday, November 16, 2018

Night Machine Interview

1.Can you give us an update on what has been going on with the musical project since the recording and release of the new album?



Mostly rehearsal for upcoming shows. I’ve also been organizing a Synthwave Showcase for 2019 in Nashville



2.Recently you have released a new album, what are some of the things you have done different musically with this recording that you where not able to do with your previous releases?



With Themes of the Dead I was able to make a concept album. Compiling all my horror influences into one lump sum. With my other releases I tried to show more range with mixing different sounds and styles.



3.All of your music deals with horror themes, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in this genre?



I can remember being completely freaked out watching Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors at a very young age. Since then I’ve always been fascinated with the darker side of things. Those soundtracks setting the mood.



4.The project formed out of the ashes of 'Iraconji' a band in the death/thrash genre, what was the decision behind going into more of a synth orientated direction?



Not really in the ashes of Iraconji but in tandem. At the time Iraconji was on hiatus, our drummer was handling some family business. I’ve always dabbled with electronic music and with the downtime from Iraconji I wanted to keep myself occupied. It’s something I can control 100%.



5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Night Machine'?



If I recall correctly, I just blurted it out when talking with a friend about possible names for the project. My first and middle initials are N.M. So I’ve always been a fan of the NM combo. I have a mascot, he’s the real “Night Machine”. My idea was that a terminator T-800 was bitten by a zombie and the living flesh zombified over it’s metal exoskeleton.



6.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover?



The artwork was done by Geoff Collins. He was asked what direction I wanted to go with the cover and I said “neon crypt”. The disco ball moon shines down on the gallows in the cemetery while Death lurks below.



8.What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and also how would you describe your stage performance?



The best show was in Atlanta with Watch Out For Snakes, Gregorio Franco and Acid Gambit. My stage performance is fun it matches the mood. Lots of strobes, smoke and synth



9.O you have any touring or show plans for the new album?





Not at the moment. I’m working on some merch ideas and a synth fest in Nashville for 2019



10.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?



I haven’t shopped the album around. I’ve talked with a couple small labels but I mainly do this for myself. If the right offer comes along there may be a possibility.



11.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of synthwave and metal?



It’s been cool. I’ve got some people listening in Europe and Canada. I’ve had some reviews from synthwave and metal blogs. The synthwave fans love it so far. The metal fans dig it but don’t quite understand it yet but a lot of synth artists come from metal backgrounds so they’ll come around.



12.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician in the future?



Hopefully ever evolving. Writing and playing, keeping a good balance between them.



13.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?



I love metal, classic rock, punk, classical, new wave, most everything really.

I’ve mostly been listening to the new Gunship, Twin Temple and Flight of the Concords lately.



14.What are some of your non musical interests?



 Cartoons, Horror films, Tattoos and Baking



15.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts? Thanks for taking the time to talk. I really appreciate it.

https://nightmachine.bandcamp.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment