Friday, May 31, 2019

Folian Interview

1.Can you give us an update on what has been going on with the musical project since the recording and release of the new ep?
I did a short tour around the Pacific Northwest with Troubled By Insects following the release of Ache Pillars, and since then have been focusing on a release plan for the next album, which will be out later this year, as well as booking and playing more shows in the mean time.

2.Recently you have released a new ep, musically how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past?
I consider this the first "proper" Folian release, in that it is structurally a more song-based work, rather than the past few releases which have been more drone/sound art type pieces. It is mostly centered around guitar, which everything else built around it.

3.According to the facebook page you refer to your music as being 'experimental sludge-pop', can you tell us a little bit more about this term?
I'll admit the term "experimental" is quite broad but there is always a degree of improvisation that goes into creating this work, using and exploring a variety of instruments. There is definitely a poppy element, however subtle, both structurally and vocally. I thought "experimental sludge-pop" just sounded a little fun, and I don't mean it to be very definitive.

4.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you explore with the newer music and also how would you describe your progress as a songwriter over the years?
Much of the lyrical content deals with the feeling of being stuck or unable to emotionally depart from the past. Other ideas explored are escapism, fear and depression, and confronting these things. I think my songwriting style has always been a bit free-flowing, meaning there is no set formula I ever follow. It can be totally improvised recording, layering, and experimentation, or it could be a song I wrote on acoustic guitar that I want to translate into an electric work. Often times, its a mix of both.

5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Folian'?
Its a made up word with no previously defined meaning. I know the word has been used places before but I don't pay mind to it. It means something to me.

6.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new ep cover?
My friend Crystal Lee Lucas does incredible conceptual and thought provoking photography work. Though the image was complete and selected after the music had been finished, it represents this EP very well.

7.On the recordings you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to work solo?
I do enjoy the freedom and the process of recording everything myself, but I do often work with other musicians, both related to the project and not. I play in several bands with people I love, and I have had friends contribute sounds to upcoming Folian recordings. I have not performed with additional musicians in this project before, but it is something I would like to explore.

8.What are some of the best shows that you have done over the years and also how would you describe your stage performance?
I've had the pleasure of playing some great shows with this project, but my favorite would have to be the EP release show that happened in April here in Portland, OR. It was just a really dreamy night, and I felt really good about it. Recently I have been doing a lot of video work that I incorporate into my live sets via projector. This adds an element that I felt was important to the experience of what I do. I like to create a space for myself and others where it is comfortable to just let go.

9.Do you have any touring or show plans for the future?
I have several shows coming up in Portland, and plan do to some touring later this year or early next. I just bought a van so I'm hoping to get myself and another on the road shortly.

10.The new ep was released on 'Apneic Void Sounds', can you tell us a little bit more about this label?
Apneic Void specializes in beautifully packaged, short-run cassette and CD releases. The catalogue consists of lots of different sounds ranging from harsh noise to mutilated bedroom pop/rock. My good friend Daniel runs the label.

11.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your newer music by fans of experimental, shoegaze and metal?
Like a lot of bands, I think the music is a lot to digest for people who are totally unfamiliar with the project, but it seems to have been received much better than I had thought it would.

12.When can we expect another full length and also where do you see yourself heading into as a musician in the future?
New full length due out later this fall with some touring to support it. I have a few other releases in the works with this project, and also play in some other bands that will be releasing music and playing shows. Personally, I would like to score film and do some soundtrack work for film and video games even.

13.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your newer music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
I really like a lot of new music, but otherwise I've been listening to lots of David Bowie, Unwound, Black Moth Super Rainbow and stuff. I feel like I'm often influenced by friends and music they make, or have made... I just feel closer to the music when I know the person. It's a beautiful things to see an artist as a piece of living art. Lately, Troubled By Insects, The Stargazer Lilies, Drowse, High Tides, Juracan, Body Shame, Planning For Burial, Elrond, hold a special place within me... These are all excellent musicians and people and I love what they do.

14.What are some of your non musical interests?
Cinema, hot sauce (I like to make my own), and currently house hunting. Also, my cat, Nebo.

15.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
Come out to one of my shows and say hi!

6/2 - Portland, OR @ No Fun Bar
w/ Giardia, CHIBI

6/14 - Portland, OR @ Speck's Records
w/ Juracan, Matt Pollock

7/13 - Portland, OR @ High Water Mark Lounge
w/ Elizabeth Colour Wheel, Drowse, Taarna

7/25 - Eugene, OR @ Old Nick's Pub
w/ Zvi, Entresol

Thank you!

https://www.facebook.com/folianpdx/

No comments:

Post a Comment