Monday, May 27, 2019

Wyvernsnout Interview

Can you give us an update on what has been going on with the musical project since the recording and release of the new album?
At the time I’m answering to you, Wyvernsnout will appear in 2 DS compilation in the near future. I’m really satisfied with the feedbacks on this album; it is always pleasant to have recognition from people who really enjoy your work. This album will also be available on tape format later this year.

Recently you have released a new album, musically how does it differ from the staff you have released in the past?

I think I gain in orchestration on some parts, and this give me a more satisfying vision of what I want to do with Wyvernsnout. The main difference is that I always learn about the softwares I use so I can improve my sound on each release. We will see what comes next.

In a previous interview you talked about having an interest in fantasy, medieval times, paganism and the occult, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in these topics and what influence do they have on the musical style that you play?

As far as I remember, I was always attracted by these topics. I don’t know what my exact roots are, my mother family was rooted in Brittany (a part of France, cradled in legends of witches and occults), and my father family was long times ago nomad peoples so I think they bring with them lot of influences from polytheist “religions” from Europe. It is always influencing me in a way or another. I also like classical and neo classical music, melted with metal and ambient music, I think it is a perfect mix for me to bring Wyvernsnout works.

Since 2018 you have put out a great amount of releases, do you spend a great amount of time writing and creating music?

It takes me a bit of time to write music. I think it could take me 2 hours for a track, sometimes 3 hours. And sometimes it takes less than 1 hour. So for the last album, it takes me between 16 and 48 hours. I am not the kind of “musician” that comes back to the tracks lot of times before it is OK. When it is OK, it is OK. I don’t want to lose the first feeling of the tracks.

Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover?

It is a random old map taken from the internet. Sorry. No great work on this. I wanted something simple and connected with medieval and ancient times

With this project you record everything by yourself, do you prefer to work solo instead or working with a full band?

Solo is better for me. I already worked with a real life band and it was catastrophic. I also work virtually with people for some projects, but wasn’t totally satisfied. I prefer solo.

'Akashic Envoy' is re-issuing the album on physical format; can you tell us a little bit more about how you got in contact with this label?

I first contacted Clayton for an article about DS, and then we talk about his label. It all started at the end of January. He was really excited about releasing “HER” on tape, and in the near future, he will release “Voyages”. It is simple and awesome to work with Clayton. He is a really nice guy.


On the album you also done some Ulver, Mortiis and Summoning covers, what was the decision behind doing your own versions of their songs?

On this album, I wanted to add some cult bands tracks cover that fit well with a DS feeling. Mortiis was unmissable, Summoning is one of my favorite epic black metal bands, and Ulver is the kind of project I enjoy listening to when I am alone at home.

On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of dungeon synth?

Pretty good I guess. Even if I got feedbacks, I don’t have hundreds and hundreds messages, but the few I have are very positives. I’m really satisfied with this album (like with each album).

Are you currently involved with any other bands or musical projects these days?

Yes, I have two other projects. OXALAIA, an electronic experimental and atmospheric black metal project, and PUS SANGLANT which is a cybergrind project. I wrote 1 album and 2 EPs with OXALAI, and I am finishing a demo with PUS SANGLANT.

Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician in the future?
I don’t know. I don’t plan anything for now, I take some times for myself right now.

What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your newer music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

Black metal, death metal, ambient and atmospheric music, classical and neo classical music, movie and video games OST. Also modern metal genre like djent and deathcore. It is not always listenable at the first time, but all these stuff have influences on my work. If you want some names, follow KENOS (French black metal with occult parts), ARS MORIENDI (French black metal, the last album is awesome), KOSMOS (French atmospheric BM) and DAWN OF LEVIATHAN (epic progressive deathcore).

What are some of your non musical interests?

Video games for sure. Days Gone is awesome, I’m waiting for The Last Of Us Part2, Dying Light 2 and the remake for my childhood favorite game Medievil. I got a simple, bit of boring life I guess, ha ha ha. Sleeping, working, playing, and taking care of my family. Not so epic.

Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

I hope you will listen to “Voyages” soon and will find something interesting into this album. Or if you find it is shit, just tell it and go away. Be yourself, do what you want, and listen to lot of metal and especially Black Metal.

https://wyvernsnout.bandcamp.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment