Monday, June 17, 2019

Ruit Hora Interview

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?

R: Ruit Hora was born as a personal need to sound the union of calm with anger, fear and hope. I am a great admirer of Klaus Schulze, Kraftwerk, Ben Frost, etc. besides being an active participant in the metal scene of my country, as a member of the avant-garde black metal band Decem Maleficivm, where I play synthesizers and make voices, and Favna Abisal, a fusion of rock, metal and psychedelia where I take care of the voices. So it was undeniable that I wanted to merge the machines with elements of metal music.

2.Recently you have released your first album, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style you went for on the recording?

R: My idea was to create a sound proposal with weight and density that would generate a feeling of restlessness in the listener. From the creation of dark and reflective atmospheres with the synthesizers, I felt that a visceral expression was missing, so I dared to include vocal lines influenced in the English school of the doom metal (My dying bride, paradise lost, etc)

3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you have explored so far with the music?

R: They address issues related to existentialism, the questioning of our past actions and how they impact on today. All through a dark prism.

4.With this project you can hear a lot of doom metal influences along with some death metal growls while the music is done mostly with synths, are you open to using any traditional metal instruments on future recordings?

R: I do not rule out anything for the future, however at the moment I'm only working with synthesizers. I think it's such a versatile instrument, that you can generate the density of a guitar tuned in c # or the weight of a bass

5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the album cover?

R:  The artwork is created by Pablo Fuente, a multifaceted artist. The cover is a representation of the unstoppable advance of time. It is a photograph of Charles Darwin next to a type of flowers that are used in cemeteries here in Chile, life and death related in an image.

6.On the album you recorded everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians in the future?

R: That's right, the work is done in a solitary way. I have several friends and well-known musicians who are very talented, so perhaps on the next album they have guest musicians, probably in the vocal part and in electronic percussion.

7.Are you open to doing any live shows or is this strictly a studio project?

R: At the moment I'm just working in the studio. As I work with hardware synthesizers, it's a bit cumbersome to move equipment, and for a one-man project, it's a lot of work. Anyway, it's something I do not rule out for the future.

8.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?

R:  I'm looking for a label, I would like the work could be distributed and expanded in physical format. I have received offers but only to work the album in a digital way, however my wish points to the realization of the album in physical format.

9.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of dark ambient and doom metal?

R: In general, the response has been positive. I have received several comments about the fact that when listening to the album, it is believed that it will be the typical industrial or dark album, but that when the voices begin there is an unexpected turn. The work has had good reception in more metal circles, which has also been unexpected, especially considering that there are no guitars or drums.

10.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?

R:  I see myself working in Ruit Hora, I do not know if in the same type of music, but if I keep seeing myself surrounded by machines, trying to externalize my thoughts in musical form

11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

R:  In general I listen permanently to the bands or musical styles that have influenced Ruit Hora. If I had to name some, it would be Ulver (all his works), My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost (old), Emperor, Arcturus, Kraftwerk, Gary Numan, Cocteau Twins, Depeche Mode. Nowadays, apart from all the above, I listen to many soundtracks. I like the work of Ben Frost, Disasterpeace, Colin Stetson, Charles Bernstein, Carpenter, Etc. In addition to all the above, I am a great admirer of hip hop from the 90s and funk music of the 70s and 80s. They are a kind of adrenaline injection to get out of so much daily darkness

12.What are some of your non musical interests?

R: I work as a forensic psychologist in my non-musical life, so my interests are generally in that line in terms of literature and films. I like to collect antique robots, ancient cartoon villains and books related to the interpretation of evil by different cultures

13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

R: I would like to thank you for the space and interest towards Ruit Hora. Finding people who value artistic work is something incredible, and in that sense, your work through your blog becomes a fundamental piece so that art does not disappear. I invite you to listen to ruit hora on spotify or on the bandcamp: https://ruithora.bandcamp.com/ . You can see a lyric video at: https://youtu.be/xgJ8O-kyfhU

No comments:

Post a Comment