Tuesday, December 3, 2019

Svart1 Interview

1.Can you give us an update on what has been going on with the musical project since the recording and release of the new album?
Actually not so much. I look forward to presenting the visual linked to the CD in the city where I live but I'm already working on my next work that will try to close the circle started with “Frozen Chants”


2.Recently you have released a new album, musically how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past?
In reality when I start a job it is always something I don't really know where and how it will develop. Usually everything comes from a particular visual idea and only after having processed the video I start to compose the sounds. In "Monòtono" everything comes from a move to an apartment in the historic center of the city where I live. A very dark place, where the light of the sun almost never arrives and from there it all started, but in reality I could not really tell you how my music has changed since the beginning of 2008

3.When i listened to some of the past material the music was different from the new album and you have also included vocals in the past, do you feel it is very important to try something very different with each album?
I think this route is necessary and even mandatory for me. Life changes so fast and I suffer so much and my music follows these changes. I think it's something natural

4,You also had an album that was very heavily themed in demonology, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in the occult?
The "Satanische Helden" trilogy (I think it refers to those works) was born as the end of a long university course. I am a Christian archaeologist and for reasons of study before and after work, I have always been unbearable in this dilemma: the trilogy is simply to consider that in everyday life we are continually hovering between two dynamics that I now think are not one opposed to the other but are only the vision of the moment we live and with which we must necessarily come to terms and accept.


5.What are some of the other themes and images you have brought into your music over the years?
As I said before, music has always been and in recent years it has increasingly become the starting point for something born after a vision, an image or simply a feeling that becomes video.
I have always had a privileged relationship with Nature, with silent and abandoned places (I can still go to search for abandoned factories or houses) and in general with cold places. Living in Sardinia I miss many things considering that for years I have taught and lived in northern Europe but I am also learning here to take my space and in general to find the "beauty" in every little thing I do but basically what produces me more desire to play is Silence.

6.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Svart1'?
Nothing mysterious or particularly symbolic but simply the “dark” word in Swedish. And this thing makes me smile because with the same name there is a great label and a lot of dark and death metal projects from Northern Europe that I would never have known if not intrigued by the name I gave more than 10 years ago

7.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover?
With pleasure.  As I like to photograph and I always try to integrate the audio with a particular image. In this case only the old photos I took more than 10 years ago in a place called Brebusai in Lithuania. A beautiful place full of small lakes that seemed perfect for the monothematic sounds of the CD


8.You have also released a few live albums cover the years, out of all the shows that you have played which one stands out the most?
This is a thorny topic since since I returned to Sardinia the lives have been greatly reduced but despite this I have some wonderful memories of an edition, I think of 2014, of the "Schlagstrom" in Berlin where I played with artists like Monolake, Winterkälte , Absolute Body Control, P • A • L, Tanz ohne Musik, Carter Tutti play Chris & Cosey, Philipp Münch, Raison D'etre, Mortaja.
But maybe the live that I will remember (also because it was my first live) was forever the 2009 edition of the "Hyperborea" festival in Budapest together with Scivias.
Lately, as I said at the beginning, even for work I find it very difficult to organize Live out of Sardinia also because in the last few years I have preferred to concentrate on Visuals Live and it is not always easy to find organizers who have the same care when you want to invite a musician who will make only live visuals.

9.Do you have any touring or show plans for the new album?
For now I will present the visual linked to the CD in my city and then see if I will have the time and the chance to let me host some festival

10.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of dark ambient and noise?
I am very happy with this question because I am practically much better known abroad than in the place where I live.
I receive many appreciations for my work and of this I am naturally happy also because the dark Ambient I do is in any case changing towards more electronic rhythms and sound searches also because I am now abandoning any hardware and lately I am appreciating many softwares with which I now realize at least 80% of the work.
In absolute terms I find that the democratization that the softwares have provided is a positive element for me because if it is true that around you hear everything and sometimes not at the highest levels, it is also true that thanks to this facility many kids and girls have approached the music and this needs to be happy.

11.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?
I certainly wouldn't know but surely more and more a musician who works with videos in an even more and more integrated and inextricable way.

12.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
Hard question in the sense that I appreciate so many musicians and artists in general but if I have to tell you some names ... well "New Risen Throne" for my approach to the dark Ambient, "Forseti" as maximum and unreachable of Neo Folk and "Uncodified" as maximum expression of Extreme Electronics  but also I listen with great pleasure to a friend who lives in Berlin who has made many strides since he began. His name is "Sa Bruxa", very interesting project for me.

13.What are some of your non musical interests?
Photographing and trying to film everything that makes me absent from reality


14.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
Nothing special but thanks to you for the interview.

http://svart1.bandcamp.com/
http://svart1.altervista.org/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment