Monday, January 6, 2020

Nofilter Interview

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?

Hello! This solo project was born in October 2018, to challenge myself and to fight the darkness of the Norwegian long nights of winter. I also wanted to get rid of some melodies that were haunting me for years, to make some space in my head. Doing this alone wasn’t really a choice but a necessity, everyone who ever played in a band knows how difficult it can be to find the right people, and moreover, to make schedules fit together. I was in need for some freedom, and I found it in this project.


2.So far you have released an ep, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style you went for on the recording?

I’m listening to a lot of different musical styles, but mainly rock/metal/hardcore, so to be honest ambiant & electronic music aren’t my favorite fields. But I began to understand better these styles these last years, by going to some shows and thanks to some friends of mine running a label called Hands in the Dark. I also discovered Lustmord in 2017 at the Maschinenfest and was really impressed by the minimalism of the music and visuals, opposed to the tons of feelings he can make you go through.


3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you explore on the tracks that had vocals?

My lyrics are just about everyday life and its troubles, relationships that are not easy to keep balanced, and as you mentioned it in your review, everything is maybe a bit dark. It was for sure an outlet for some sadness that I wanted to get out. When I'm writing lyrics, I tend to speak about what I’m going through, without being too precise so you have to read between the lines. Like when you read some classic French poets, the words may be mysterious but you can dive in and feel related to, with the light or your experience. 


4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Nofilter’?

I remember this name came suddenly out of the blue, I feel like it chose me more than I chose it !
First, I wanted to find some freedom in music as I said, I didn’t want to know about anyone’s opinion about these songs, not before being able to release them. I wanted to see what could blossom with no interferences, with no ‘I don’t really like the verse, make something else’, with no compromise at all. It’s really wonderful to play with people and to share something together, but at that time this gave birth to some frustrations and I wanted something else with nofilter. And I was also (and still am) tired of all this social media thing, selfie(sh) people and so on. So it was also an oblique reference to this.


5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the ep cover?

For the artwork, I wanted something clean and pure, but still raw, organic and not too tight, to fit the music. The general shape is simple but not well defined on the edges, and it’s a bit hypnotic if you watch it for some seconds. Like as I feel about these songs, maybe naive at the first look but not only. The devil is in the details !


6.Originally you where from France but now reside in Norway, can you tell us a little bit more about the move?

I decided to move there 1 year and a half ago. That was not an easy choice to leave all my friends but we’re all in search of some adventures in life I guess, and I could so I did. I was in love with Scandinavia for a long time, so living here is part of a younger me's dream. I met some really nice people here, for instance Pål, also known as Erik Svarte, who took care of the master on this project.


7.With this project you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to work solo?

I’m very open to collaborations, and this one was done alone because it was a kind of a secret thing. After this release, some people showed me some interest, and even if nothing is done, I have really good hopes for some beautiful people to join me on the next one. Fingers crossed!
Sadly, we live now in a digital world but that is a good point when it comes to that kind of subject. This way, I can do music with people from everywhere, not only from my physical place.


8.Have you done any live shows or is this strictly a studio project?

No, I didn’t have the opportunity to play it live. This Ep has some improvised layers, and I’m not confident enough today to play live just by myself. But I think I will be more focus on this aspect on the next one, so I can find an abandoned church, put a thousand of candles everywhere and make a savage gig. Everyone is allowed to have a dream, no?


9.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?

I’m running with friends a label called Impure Muzik. But this label is more focus on rock/hxc music, and my Ep couldn’t fit in.
With my other band, Go Spleen, we had some labels as support and it was really much needed because we released vinyls and that costs a lot.
For Candle business, the plan wasn’t the same. I’m used to the diy culture, and Bandcamp is free, so let’s use this. I’m using my own money to buy and do things, that the best way to feel poor but independant.


10.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of experimental and dark ambient?

I had some nice words here and there, some reviews but not that much. Some friends showed a real support and it deeply touched me.
I’m okay with that, music business nowadays is thinking with its feet. Famous bands are not the best ones, or the most sincere ones, they are the ones with the best network, the best PR and/or the best community manager... At the beginning of this project, my only goal was to make someone feels something. I know now for sure that it worked at least on 4 guys.girls, so I’m more than happy :)


11.When can we expect a full length and also where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?

This winter is for me the next opportunity to make something but I don't know yet about the shape it will have. I have another band/work in progress in France and I can’t wait also to record with them. Music can be the mother of so many passions and so many heartbreaks that I stopped wondering questions about it, I just want to let it go the way it wants to.


12.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

Not easy to answer, everything is inspiring and influencing you, and you sometimes realize it later. My gods are Botch, but I don’t think they had an influence here obviously !
Some famous and not so famous names that come to my mind for this record would be Lustmord, Sunn O))), Pink Floyd, Broken Twin, Black Heart Procession, Kraftwerk, Moderat, Brian Eno, Sparklehorse, Tomaga, the XX, Jack and the bearded fishermen and the others great bands from my hometown I grew up with.
My lastest musical crush is for the last album of Darkthrone, ‘Old star’. I’m seriously jealous of the guitar riffs of 'The Hardship of the Scots', they are so obvious and yet so epic, you just have no choice but to try to conquer the world when you listen to that.

13.What are some of your non musical interests?

Apart from music, I’m mainly into graphic design, as a freelance and as a volunteer. I love to draw gigposters, an art I discovered by promoting gigs in my hometown and it’s so rich and wide it will never ends. The rest of the time, I'm just trying to eat cheese, melted or not, as much as I can.

14.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

I would like to thank you a thousand times for your interest in my stuff, and for everyone’s time.
Sorry for my poor english but I have an excuse : I am French :)
Fuck 2019, and I wish you all a happy new year!

https://nofilternomaster.bandcamp.com

No comments:

Post a Comment