Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Take Them To The Woods Interview

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?
1. I decided to start a solo project early last year. I wasn't sure exactly where I was going with this project, I just picked up the guitar and started writing stuff. I don't know if this project is going to be a solo project till the very end... I might include other artists depending on where the music takes me. I knew I had to do the first EP solo, just to get things started.

2.In 2019 you had also released an ep, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style you went for on the recording?
2. I basically learned a few fingerstyle and flamenco techniques, tweaked it a little bit to fit my style of playing and started writing songs with no idea what the final result would sound like.
I wanted to create something very neutral (not specifically bound to any genre), slightly flavoured with some known styles but not to apparent. The idea in the back of my mind was to have this neutral foundation and start building on top of that towards where ever the music goes.

3.This ep is also the first chapter in a 3 part series, can you tell us a little bit more about it?
3. The 3 Chapters (EPs) are 'The gathering', 'The Journey' and 'The Woods'. I already wrote down all the song names for all 3 Chapters. I wanted to release the whole thing at once, but I didn't want to rush the project, so I decided to split it in 3 parts. I have only finished this first part and haven't started writing anything else yet, but I hope to release the second EP end of this year and the 3rd one a year after that. Again I am going to let the music grow and progress into something else as I go along... adding and taking away different techniques and styles. I have an idea of where the music needs to be on the 3rd EP, so it's basically getting from here to there. I hope that makes sense

4.All of the music on the ep was acoustic, do you have any plans to use vocals on previous releases?
4. This first release will stay as it is. The 3rd EP will definitely have vocals, I am not to sure about the 2nd EP.

5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Take Them To The Woods'?
5. I got the name 'Take them to the woods'  from my friend, who also made the cover art. This name gave me the idea of this musical journey towards the woods. The woods being the final destination and the main focus, but only revealed once there. The name can mean many things. I don't want to go into it too deep, but I think when I release the 3rd EP, it will all make sense.

6.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the ep cover?
6. This EP is 'The Gathering' The woman on the cover is summoning whoever is going to venture into the woods. She is in the woods and calling out to potential "adventurers".
Me as the writer of these songs and the listeners can all be seen as adventurers. We go on this journey together.

7.With this musical project you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to work solo?

7. I would love to work with other musicians on the 3rd EP, maybe even on the 2nd. depending on where the music goes.


8.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?
8. I am going to publish these 3 EPs whether I get signed or not. If a label approaches me, I'll most likely sign with them if all is well.

9.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your recording by fans of acoustic music?
9. Well I haven't really advertised anything and the EP only releases on all the major platforms like Spotify and iTunes etc on the 17th of January 2020.
I have only shared it with close friends and family and websites to review the EP before it releases. So far the little response I have received have all been good. People actually like these tunes.

10.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?
10. That depends on how well these 3 EPs are received. If everything go as I plan and the response is good, I might do something similar again or stick to the style that was best received... as I am going to progress through different styles over the course of these 3 EPs.

11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
11. I have always liked melancholy with dashes of angst and anger in my music. Bands that inspired me include Agalloch, Ulver, Murg, Comus, Drudkh and Cultes des Ghoules.
At the moment I am still working(listening) through 2019's massive list of releases. Right now I am still listening to Hour of Penance - Misotheism.

12.What are some of your non musical interests?
12. I like to paint now and then, but my paintings are mostly awful. I like the outdoors. Going for walks, especially through forests.

13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
13. Thank you for reviewing my EP and for this interview, I really enjoyed your questions. It's hard work getting your music out there and people like you help a lot. I am looking forward to sending the next EP your way. And to the people reading this. Thank you for taking the time and supporting this page. You have made it this far, why not continue this journey and see what awaits you in the woods.

https://www.facebook.com/takethemtothewoods/

No comments:

Post a Comment