Monday, September 12, 2022

The Grow Interview

 

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the solo project?

Hi,  The Grow project was born two years ago with the idea of creating new sound resonances. I only play an EGC guitar with just few effect pedals. Trying to create a massive tonal range. Alone with myself and few devices.


2.A few months back you had released an album, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style that you went for on the recording?

The sound of Death Home Tape wasn't a real choice. The adoption of a so rough technique was motivated by necessity rather than by a real choice. A need to expressing a feeling and describing a life situation in the right way. A mental short-circuit noise. About musical style, I don’t like bounds around me.


3.What are some of the song themes you also bring into your music?

Themes of birth, rise, decline and death.


4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'The Grow'?

If I should explain in one sentence, a need to feel alive. ‘The Grow’ as awareness of life and death. The pandemic isolation pushed me to that.


5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the album cover?

Well, everything started from a painting by Masaccio. It is reproduced on the back cover of Death Home Tape. Today ‘The Crucifixion Of Saint Peter’ from the 15th century is on display at the State Museums in Berlin. That inverted cross in a ‘positive’ context captured my attention. The subjective meaning of symbols. The supreme deception.


6.With this project you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to work solo?

With that first release I actually wanted a full control. I owed it to myself. Yes, it is absolutely possible to open the project to other musicians in the future.


7.Are you also open to doing any live shows?

Currently that’s not a priority but live shows could be a chance to play my music in a different situation. So, enjoyed to play at a festival in Carpi last time.


8.The album was also released on cassette  by 'Industrial Coast UK', can you tell us a little bit more about this label?

The search for a label was affected by short time available. I wanted to capture a mood linked to this specific time of my life. As soon as possible. Death Home Tape would get ‘corrupted’ in a short time. Steve (Industrial Coast UK) was interested in releasing it within a reasonable time. He was prompt, friendly, thrilled and very welcoming. The label choice could not be better. It was great to releasing it on cassette. I love tapes and their sense of precariousness.


9.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of noise and experimental?

Unexpected situation is seeing the positive reaction to what you are doing, nothing is more rewarding and reinforces your motivation. Expecially when you release music driven by a personal need. The reaction has been absolutely positive. I honestly did not expect such support. I received nice feedbacks from friends, musicians and my partner, of course. The noiser legend Lasse Marhaug mixed / mastered my work and said: "I checked some tracks. Sounds good!" What more could I desire?


10.Where do you see yourself heading into as musician during the future?

It's hard to tell what may happen in the future. Thinking too much about the future is how to run without looking done we put our feet. Anyway, in the next future, I see myself experiencing music with my whole being with not following trends.



11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?


As a teenager, my roots were in the post-punk era but I soon graduated to expanding my horizons limitless. From jazz to electronic, from metal to avant-guarde, from hardcore to industrial and so on. So I assume different musical styles can unconsciously influence my working process. My listenings today? Neil Young and Incapacitants. But tomorrow will be another story.



12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

Hope soon!

The Grow Instagram

www.instagram.com/thegrownoise

The Grow Facebook

www.fb.com/thegrownoise


No comments:

Post a Comment