Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Elven Sorrow Interview

 




 

1.For those that never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?

Elven Sorrow is a Dark Ambient project that sometimes tends towards Dungeon Synth too. Its objective is to reach an artistic fulfilment with a minimalistic yet somewhat complex approach. Elven Sorrow is not only about the music, but also the hidden message it can transmit beneath its multiple layers of obscurity. To serve better the purpose of sending a message, the album has a conceptual narration with the desired hidden information. This project also serves as an escape from this down-to-earth reality into the surreal and abstract.

 

2.Recently you have released an album, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style that you went for on the recording?

On this first album, I have tended mostly towards the darker side of ambience, even though for the sake of creating a diverse soundscape I’ve also added other emotions, even positive ones (mostly on the more Dungeon Synth parts). Overall, the music follows the feeling transmitted in every part of the narration.


3.You also have a concept with this album, can you tell us a little bit more about it?

The concept of this albums flows with the music, and to achieve a better narration the album (which could be considered as a single song) is divided into 10 chapters, each following the same tale. The narration talks about a nameless warrior and his deeds and misfortunes throughout a life carved into the shape of a myth. Although I have personally written this myth, it’s intended to simulate the Greek mythology with the purpose of a reflection on the countless stories told throughout the centuries that have not reached us. Therefore, the concept of this album is our ignorance of so many tales from the past, some of them perhaps similar to the one told in this full-length. The name of the album is the most direct way to address to these lost myths, for they all are a rise and fall to be forgotten. 


4.You also have a background in black metal, how would you compare dungeon synth and dark ambient to black metal?

Dungeon Synth and Dark Ambient are two musical styles that are in my opinion very closely related to Black Metal. Perhaps not for the instruments used, but more for the darkness and mysticism that are intended to be transmitted. On one side Black Metal usually transmits these aforementioned concepts in a more violent and direct way and on the other side Dark Ambient and Dungeon Synth transmit them more peacefully, although the atmosphere does not commonly differ too greatly. Dark Ambient tends more than Dungeon Synth towards darkness, but Dungeon Synth is closer to Black Metal historically and can even be heard on numerous intros, outros or interludes of classic Black Metal albums. Therefore, from the view of someone who enjoys Black Metal, I think a mix of Dark Ambient and Dungeon Synth is the best way to transmit my music with the sole use of a keyboard.


5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Elven Sorrow?

The idea behind this name is the identification I would do of the feeling that higher beings, a clear example of this type of being would be an elf, may have if they gaze upon mankind. The music I compose and the messages I want to transmit are but a justification of their sorrow. As humanity decays quicker and quicker and gets every time more and more astray from nature and what lies beyond their understanding, Elven Sorrow will unfortunately grow.


6.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the album cover?

The artwork of this album depicts an ancient and abandoned castle (specifically the castle of Montsoriu), and it is portrayed in the form of pointillism to accentuate even more its fading (or in general the one of all the past) from the minds of men. I chose the cover to be a castle because it is an ideal portrait of the past, and it may be one of the most common pictures imagined when thinking of yesteryears. The album cover has been hand-drawn by Hekate Chthonia.



7.Originally you are from the United Kingdom but now reside in Spain, can you tell us a little bit more about the move?

I have family in England and Catalonia, but the one with which I reside lives here. Nonetheless, perhaps in some years I may return to the United Kingdom.


8.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?

I am currently searching for a label, but with the current situation they are all saturated and can’t really sign a brand new project. Despite that, I have received some interest from some label, but until autumn 2021 no one seems to be capacitated for any negotiation. If any label reading this is interested, I’m open to talk about any possible release.


9.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of dungeon synth and dark ambient?

As I have released the album digitally and on my own, so promotion has been an issue and at the moment my music has reached few people, although it has currently reached people from Italy, Germany, UK and other places. I hope to reach more people when I release my next album or find a good label though.


10.What is going on with your black metal project these days?

I currently have enough material to make my debut album with my Black Metal project Gorguina, and at the moment I am recording the songs with the help of Akerbeltz Mercyless. In this band I compose as a duo with Hekate Chthonia. It is currently pretty advanced, so expect more news about it soon.


11.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?

I have various musical projects in which I compose, although Elven Sorrow is currently the only one which has had an official release yet (together with my occasional guest guitar solos in Akerbeltz and Körgull The Exterminator). I am very interested in exploring numerous different musical styles instead of just sticking with one, but I do not wish to corrupt the sound of Elven Sorrow, so that’s why I prefer to divide my work into different projects. 


12.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

I appreciate dozens of different musical styles, and almost all of them or based in Rock and Metal music. I have many different influences, and every day I try and grow more my music tastes, I actually listen to dozens of new bands a week since I collaborate with Bathoryzine. For Elven Sorrow though, I would say my main influences are Burzum, Mortiis (and all of his side projects), Wongraven, Svantevith and soundtrack composers like John Carpenter or John Williams to a lesser extent. In reality I don’t listen to many Dungeon Synth and Dark Ambient musicians, so that kind of helps me create my particular style with little outer influence.


13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

Thanks for this interview and good luck in your future affairs.



https://elvensorrow.bandcamp.com/album/a-rise-and-fall-to-be-forgotten

No comments:

Post a Comment