Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Rovar17/Royal Hungarian Noisemakers Interview

 



1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about yourself and musical projects?


I've been playing experimental music under the name Rovar17 for over 17 years. In connection with this, I have a publisher, I organize concerts series in Budapest, and now I have a radio show as well, called Havizaj. At the moment I am involved in 2 different music projects besides my solo.


2.How do all of your musical projects differ from each other?


Different projects involve different musical attitudes, I do not use a computer in Fixateur externe, but I do effects and loops. This band operated at first with only live vocals and sax but a classic orchestral lineup has been put together with drums and bass by now. It’s a very complicated crossover of experimental music, jazz and grindcore.

Compared to this, Abstract Household Warfare is a completely different direction. We're a duo with an another musician called Expldnglke... The music we play in some places is specifically consumable with a bit of techno or experimental synth spiced up with lots of noise. Another exciting lineup was the Royal Royal Noisemakers, which ended not so long ago.  Here the focus was on mixing different layers of music on top of each other. you could say it was a computer based project, a lot of post-production was done at home.


3.What are some of the concepts and images you bring into your music?


In fact, I would say I use ambient, harshnoise, rhythmic-noise elements once in these projects as well as in solo works.


4.You have also put a decent amount of music out over the last few years, do you spend a great amount of time writing and creating music?


Yes, I deal with it on a daily basis.


5.You have worked both solo and with other musicians, which one do you prefer?


For me, working with someone is more exciting than being a solo project. even if at times it only works at the cost of a lot of stupid compromises. Often the discussion is not even about the music, but about the cover of the album or the title of the songs, for example.


6.Have you done any live shows with your musical projects yet?


Yes, I have performed a lot from the beginning, I consider concerting to be a very important thing. I also especially like touring. I've traveled all over Europe, playing music in the United States and Mexico. The current virus period is therefore also very difficult for me, i had to cancel a German tour and an American one.


7.With both Rovar17 and Royal Hungarian Noisemakers  you have been a part of a decent amount of splits, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical projects you have shared these recordings with?


When anyone visits me with this idea, I’m usually open, and when I come across an exciting project, I myself often suggest working together in some way, it could be a jamming session or even a split or a remix album.


8.A great amount of your music is also released on 'Unsigned', can you tell us a little bit more about this label?


I would start there by having regular gigs called Havizaj. The label is organized around this, often documenting the concert series held under our auspices, but is also open to other works by the bands performing here.


9.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of noise, experimental, ambient and drone?


Interestingly, the vast majority of people don’t know what to do with these styles, and yet there are style lovers all over the world, we get a lot of positive feedback from them.


10.Where do you see yourself heading into musically during the future?


My music career is evolving excitingly, I’ve developed a lot myself in recent years, and I’m looking forward to where it leads.


11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?


My big favorites are Current 93, Coil, Psichick TV, I got to know experimental music with him. But I have to say, I’m also open to a lot of exciting things, be it Bob Dynan, David Bowie, Swans, Death Grips or just Pan Sonic.


12.What are some of your non musical interests?


I’m also getting more and more into visuals, making video clips, not just for my own projects. However in the concerts usually not i do the visuals, I work with Nándor Maller aka MaN, he paints the light in a very professional way with completely analog methods, they work with overhead projectors and slide projectors.


13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?


Nope, thank you very much for the interview.



https://www.facebook.com/rovar17/


https://www.facebook.com/RoyalHungarianNoisemakers/








No comments:

Post a Comment